cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

WAN speed link profile incorrect

I have FTTP and a Smart Hub 2 with slow download speed. After doing a bit of investigating it looks like the problem is with the WAN speed link profile showing that I have a 100Mbps cable plugged in - it does this with the cable supplied when FTTP was installed, a cat 6 cable and a cat 7 cable. Does anyone know a way to fix this problem?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: WAN speed link profile incorrect

In case it helps anyone -

I have spoken with BT this morning and they have said that regular ethernet cables will not work with the FTTP modem (Huawei one) only the red ended cable supplied. As the original cable was not working they are sending out a replacement which should resolve the problem.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

not heard that before as any ethernet cable should be ok   interesting if new cable solves problem

what speed do you get running this   https://fast.com/

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Yes I thought it sounded odd but am willing to give it a go. Fast.com speed mirrors Ookla and BT whole sale tests at 93Mbps.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Duplex and speed mismatches are quite common on Ethernet speed auto-negotiate , especially at Gigabit speeds.

Duplex mismatch 

Plenty of other references on a Google search.

It only needs a slight timing mismatch between the  ONT and the Smart Hub, for the speed to fall back to 100Mbs.

As both devices are mass produced at minimum cost, it quite likely that a mismatch could occur. Even swapping to another Smart Hub 2, might make a difference to the timing.

Unless there is a facility on either device, to lock the Ethernet speed to 1000Mbs Full Duplex, then this problem is likely to occur.

Sometimes putting a 1Gb Ethernet switch between the two devices, can fix the timing issue, and make both negotiate the correct speed.

Other third party routers may present a better physical connection speed, as some forum members have reported better results.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Do you know of any way to change the duplex settings on a Smart Hub 2? I've looked and can't see a way of changing the settings so far.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

So having tried to add a switch between the ONT and the Smart Hub 2 (unmanaged TP Link) which failed to send a signal through to the WAN port, I then tried to swap out the Smart Hub with an old HH5 (failure again) and finally reconnected the SH2 and the issue has resolved!

I don't know why as I had already tried disconnecting it and reconnecting it twice to no avail so I imagine it will be a temporary fix. I might change the SH2 if that is causing the problem but could do with recommendations - I don't need WiFi really as I use a mesh system for that but have the complication of the home phone running from the SH2 as I no longer have a landline.
0 Ratings