cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
MikeyStevey
Message 1 of 7

WPS Samsung printer changed my Router ID

I have a Samsung Laser Printer and I used WPS to connect it to my BT Smarthub router, by pressing the WPS button on the printer and then the WPS button on the router.  Within seconds, all my other devices connected to the hub could no longer connect, and after a long investigation to try and understand what had happened, it turns out the Router's ID had changed from my usual setting to "Broadcom_nnn" where nnn is a random number.  After re-setting everything back to normal again, I tried again to connect the printer using WPS.  Yet again the same thing happened.  I do not understand how a printer can change the Router's ID.  Can anyone else explain, and also advise how I can use WPS without this happening please ?  Thanks

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: WPS Samsung printer changed my Router ID

When Smarthub's ID was changed, was it back to its default name and password that is on the hub's label ?

0 Ratings
MikeyStevey
Message 3 of 7

Hi

Thanks for the reply

No, the ID changed to Broadcom_nnn and the password to a jumble of letters and numbers, but not the same as the default password.

Many thanks

Mike

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Do you have another device that you could try connecting with WPS to see if it is the hub that is changing it or if it is the printer?

There were security issues with WPS that I believe have been sorted but personally I would not use WPS preferring to connect devices manually.

0 Ratings
MikeyStevey
Message 5 of 7

Thank you

No I don't have any other devices

It has to be the printer which is doing the change, but also perhaps a setting on the router which should be denying the change

Anyhow, thanks for your input.  I will resign to manual methods ! 🙂

Best wishes

Mike

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Have you factory reset the hub by pressing the recessed button with a pin for about 20 seconds until the lights flash. Drastic, but often sorts out weird hub problems.

0 Ratings
MikeyStevey
Message 7 of 7

Thank you

I hadn't, but will have to wait until a quieter time

thank you though

Mike

0 Ratings