Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Gaudeamus
Message 1 of 14

Warning about exceeding your Internet Usage

Go to solution

I just want to share a warning with other forum users. I am on Option 1 with a 10Gb limit per month. This has never been a problem. This month I had a friend staying who asked to use the BBC iPlayer. I said "Sure - BT will send me an email when I get to 70% utilisation, so go ahead." Well, today, out of interest I rang the call centre to ask how much I had used this month and I was horrified when they told me that usage was 36Gb. When I asked why I had not received an email I was told that an email had been sent - to a @btinternet email address that I have never used. (This email address was apparently set up when I started using the BT service, but I have never used it.) But BT regularly emails me to my "normal" email address, so it is not as if they did not have a correct email address. So my advice is to get on to the call centre and check exactly which email address they will email when your usage reaches 70% of your limit otherwise you could have a nasty shock.

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Warning about exceeding your Internet Usage

Go to solution

you could also check by going to BT.com and then to'my account' and there is a usage monitor there which is up to 23.59 the night before and that way you could check yourself daily

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
raymie67
Expert
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution

BTW, I don't use my btinternet address either but all I did when it was setup initially it had it forwarded to one of my real email addresses.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was helpful then please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question fully then please select ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
somniac
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution

When I was with Orange, my usage was capped at 2gb per month and in 10 years I never exceeded it.

Since I signed up with BT (July7th) I have already used over 5gb.

I am using my computer in exactly the same way.

I reckon its something to do with their hub.

0 Ratings
MatureSoccerFan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution

I am new to the Home Hub system and so far all seems to be going okay. Internet speed does seem, if anything, slightly better than my old wired system although it did take me a bit of fiddling to sort out the annoying habit of automatically logging me onto the internet everytime I switched on my PC.  BT helpdesk were of zero help when I asked them and that unfortunate experience has drawn me to this forum rather than phoning BT with my question.

I too am on the 'Option 1' deal but am concerned that I may be hit with punitive charges if my usage exceeds 10 Gbs (whatever that is!). Following the earlier helpful comment that the usage should be shown on my account details I logged in to check.  Despite having this new system set up for several weeks now, everything is shown as 'nil' even though I am on the internet everyday for a couple of hours and ditto with one of my children.

Anyone got any ideas why nothing nothing is shown? Will it show only the cost that I have incurred after the first month?

Also, does anyone know if I can upgrade my Option to a higher usage limit when I am just a few weeks into an 18 month contract? I don't want to do this unless I really have to as I got a seriously good 'back to BT' limited offer deal when I signed up for the Option 1.

Hopefully, BT will email to my main email address if or when the usage gets a bit close to my limit. I have tried on several occassions to access the btinternet account that I was given when I signed up but it doesn't recognise me so I gave up on it.

0 Ratings
Gaudeamus
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

Thank you for this advice. Unfortunately I cannot locate the usage monitor. I am sure this is mostly because I am stupid, but there is also the strong probability that BT makes it really difficult to find so that they can make more money. 

I'm logged in to my account. I'm on the screen with 5 blue tabs across the top of the. Please help me to navigate to the usage monitor. This is doing my head in.

Tags (1)
Flanker27_UK
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution
If you're on the screen with the 5 blue tabs you should have the 5th tab as "My BT", click on that You'll then get a page with your options, Phone, Broadband, vision etc as vertical tabs Click on the Broadband ( looks like the "b" light on your home hub) tab & It'll display your service info There's a list of links that you can click, one of which is "View your broadband usage" Click on that & it'll show you your usage up until 23:59 the previous day
MatureSoccerFan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

Thanks Flanker27_UK response - I am following this thread as I have an identical issue with Option 1 - see my posting above.

Unfortunately, the only information that I can get up shows chargeable usage - which at this time is nil. This is a bit late to tell me that I am clocking up a bill. 

Am I being really silly and missing something?

0 Ratings
Gaudeamus
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution

Success! Many thanks.

0 Ratings
joparish
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution
Have had a similar experience, using 7gb in a few days? It might be partly down to the seemingly convenient BTFon and Openzone usage when we're out and about as we have 3 mobiles, but usage still seems very high. Could the Hub be to blame? It seems unlikely but I'm no expert. Has anyone else noticed this? Will try keeping an eye on the usage monitor and relating it back to family's use.
0 Ratings