cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Warning about weak security on wi-fi network

Go to solution

Over the last few weeks I have lost wi-fi connection on my iPad and a warning about weak security on my wi-fi network when I check my BT Hub 6 connection.It appears it is something to do with WPA/WPA2 and reconfigure the router to use WPA2 (AES).

Can anybody guide me through what to do ( require idiot guide) to sort this out.

On occasions I also loose internet connection when using my MacBook Pro

My router shows the normal blue light when the problems manifest themselves.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Warning about weak security on wi-fi network

Go to solution

The hub default is wpa2, so unless you have changed it, that is what it will be. You can check in advanced settings  WiFi in the hub manager.

Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply. I eventually managed to get into the hub manager and confirm that the default setting is WPA2 and no option to change. I have since found out that my iPads IOS is the cause of the weak security message because the smart hub is using what is now considered older encryption technology. Are there any plans to update the hubs security in the future?

My loss of internet connection at random times was due to my TP Link AC1750, model RE450 which according to TP Link forum is a common problem 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

I guess at some point they will implement WPA3, but its anybody's guess when that might be.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

A word of warning. I am not a BT Hub owner, but recently my Virgin cable box went U/S. On the first day of outage, my laptop logged onto the internet using BT Wi-fi and my mobile phone signal. 

On the second day, my phone data limit was reached by mid-morning and I had no internet connection. 

When I was finally re-connected to Virgin 72 hours later, I discovered that on the afternoon of my second day, someone had logged into my SkyBet account and wagered my entire balance on a greyhound race. They lost, but my healthy balance was now £0. 

Coincidence? That after just 24 hours of BT Wifi over a 4G connection, the fraudsters had hacked an account of mine. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

You can not just log onto BTWifi. 

If you are not a BT customer you would need to purchase a voucher and enter its details into the BT Wifi landing page.

If you are a BT customer you can only log onto the BTWifi signal by either using the BTWifi app or via the BTWifi landing page both of which require your BTID and password.

For your laptop to have logged onto the Internet via your mobile phone you must have had your laptop tethered to your phone and you must have used one of the above methods to log on.

If you did not have to log on it would appear that you have used a fake BTWifi site which had been set up by scammers. 

In any event all that BTWifi does is give you access to the Internet in the same way as any other Internet connection.  

0 Ratings