Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Zedbiker
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Weak Security

Go to solution

Hi all

Since my iPhone updated to IOS 14 I keep getting 'weak security' for my wifi connection. I have the latest Smart Hub 2. According to the instructions I should be using WPA2 (AES) or WPA3. I have looked on my Router and it is set to 'WPA2 (Recommended)'. There isn't a higher level. 

Should I be worried? Is there something I can do to improve security?

Thank you

Ian

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Weak Security

Go to solution

No and no

0 Ratings
Zedbiker
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution
Thank you Licquorice.

That’s good to know.
0 Ratings
FrinS
Beginner
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

Hi

Since my iPad Pro and my husband’s iPad recently updated to IOS 14 I also have had intermittent ‘Weak Security’ for my Wi-fi connection with a message stating to use WPA2/WPA3.  We did all the basic checks at home first before phoning  BT and then checks were made his end, but basically was told my devices are safe.  However, I’m not happy with this conclusion. Do I need a new router? I have a Smart Hub 4.  Not looking forward to my mobile being updated to IOS 14.

Am a newby to the BT Community so hope I can resolve this with expert advice.

Thanks. SB

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Virtually every domestic router on the market uses WPA2 which is what you will be using with any BT hub and is secure. WPA3 is a recent protocol and hasn't been widely introduced yet.

Nerak99
Beginner
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Not entirely correct. Wireless access points can use various encryption mechanisms on top of of WPA. Tkip is a weaker encryption system than AES and your smart hub uses TKIP. Both of these are available with wpa2 but not with a smart hub.
if you are on a home wireless access system this is not however something you should (currently) worry about. 

0 Ratings
FrinS
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Thank you Nerak99.  Let’s hope I don’t have to worry about it and BT can rectify/resolve this and give me a “strong security” message before too long.

0 Ratings
RKM
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

One way I have found to get rid of the "Weak Security" warning on iOS14 (at least for a couple of days now, it may come back in due course) is to click on the network and then disable the Private Address option.  iOS then warns that it will need to rejoin the wifi network to do this, so select "Rejoin" and the weak security warning disappears.

Surprisingly, it doesn't return even if the Private Address option is then re-enabled.

Even a complete reboot of the iPad/iPhone doesn't seem to restart the warning message.

Its just the usual Apple scare tactics to encourage upgrades at the expense of wastage and landfill and should be thoroughly condemned throughout the industry, if they aren't already illegal. 

Camgirl
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

Hi,

Good old BT Community. Not been on here for some time, but great to find when I have a problem that I find a solution there straightaway. Thanks!

0 Ratings
g0akc
Beginner
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

The SmartHub2, and likely other BT hubs, use AES cypher in WPA2 (the default/recommended mode).  TKIP is only used in WPA auto mode.

My SH2 shows as 'CCMP' with an Acrylic analyser - so it's AES

0 Ratings