Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HopefulE
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Website blocked

Go to solution

I come onto the BT Community pages reluctantly as my problem has not been resolved elsewhere.

Long story short: I am in the UK restoring an historic vintage jeep and a member of a US-based community website for fellow enthusiasts to exchange tips and advice on how to fix an engine, get spares etc.  All pretty harmless and probably to most people very dull stuff.

At the beginning of the year I logged on as usual but got a pop-up that said I was permanently barred from the website - a disaster as it really is a lifeline for my hobby.  Checked with the site moderators via a third party who told me the problem was with my Internet Provider.  I contacted the BT helpline and after being passed between several departments was told that the fault must lie with the web site organisers as BT NEVER blocks websites aribtarily. I also felt helpline staff saw it as a purely technical problem.

A check using another device showed that using the BT Home Hub was the problem - using my non-BT mobile phone connection I could log on to the website - not really ideal as I need to open jeep wiring diagrams and service instructions and you cannot see a lot with a phone. I have spoken to other UK-based website members and they have not had the same problems as they do not use BT!

A Google search found that BT apparently DOES block websites and this is referenced on your own website. So I logged into Parental Controls and discovered that Firearms and Weapons is a category which can be blocked/unblocked - the jeep website does have a sub-forum where members discuss the kinds of vintage weapons which might be found on one of these wartime vehicles!  Has this triggered me being barred?

OK so I have unblocked firearms and weapons and also adjusted the control to light - retaining the blocks on other more contentious categories.  That worked for about a week and I was then 'permanently barred' again.  I have also entered the jeep website address as a site to be allowed but this did not last long.  I have also 'customised' my Parental Controls and have since resorted to unblocking almost all and even ALL the other website categories (which I am not at all happy doing ) along with the Warning alerts and still been barred from a totally harmless, legal community forum. What can I do before my current BT Broadband contract expires this month ?

Thanks

PS I have been with BT for a long time.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Website blocked

Go to solution

The information regarding BT not blocking sites is correct. BT only block sites that are barred in the UK by law or sites that BT users have chosen to block via BT Parental controls.

If BT was blocking the site no BT users would be able to access it. Can you post a link to the site so that it can be tested by users of this BT forum on their BT broadband.

Can you please explain in more detail what you mean when you say "I was permanently barred from the website".

What was the exact message that you got when you tried to log onto the website?

It could be your web browser that is blocking you. Have you tried another web browser?

Have you checked it is not your Antivirus program that is blocking the site?

Have you tried switching off your Homehub for half an hour so that it gets a new IP address in case it is your IP address that is being blocked?

Have you tried  a factory reset of the Homehub by pressing a pin into the recess button on the rear for about 20 seconds?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

@HopefulE What error message are you getting? If you turn off parental controls can you access the site? If so have you tried adding the site to your allowed site list.

0 Ratings
HopefulE
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Distinguished Sage

Thanks for your contribution - switching off the Hub for half an hour did the trick!  So it was the IP address and, I am happy to say apparently and reassuringly, NOT BT arbitarily blocking websites - which I did think was odd.

HopefulE

0 Ratings
HopefulE
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Distinguished Sage

Thanks for your input on this. Switching off the Hub for 30 mins did the trick!  So it was the IP address and reassuringly NOT BT blocking a website - which I thought would be odd.  I will now reinstate Parental Controls and hopefully the problem will not reappear - or if it does I have a remedy.

HopefulE

0 Ratings
HopefulE
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution
NeilO
Thanks for your input please see my reply to Distinguished Sage.
HopefulE
0 Ratings