Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PembsUsers
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Websites being blocked ?

Not sure if this is right board ... 

I've been trying to get to a website for days now, I get returned a timed out message.   I used DNS lookup tools and it's there, no problem.  My local windows network diagnistics says resource is online but isn't responding to detected connection attempts.  I went to twitter and asked and half the people can get to it without a problem - the rest of us can't, so am assuming that BT have put some sort of restriction on this website?

If this is the case and as it's a perfectly ordinary, legitimate website, can I please ask this site be removed from any blocking **Edited** - or please can you tell me how to remove any blocking which BT has imposed

Thanks 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Websites being blocked ?

Absolutely nothing to do with BT whatsoever, I'm in the Canary Islands at the moment and using a Movistar ADSL connection and the site is unreachable here.

Message 3 of 7

Hi @PembsUsers   On BT Broadband here, once you get rid of the %A0 on the end it works fine and redirects you to a tr.news website that looks a bit dodgy. 

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

The link you posted is not being blocked but there are additional figures not showing at the end of the link you posted.

When you remove those figures it redirects you to a site which is a fund raising site for a "political"  ( I use the term very loosely) figure.

As it is against forum rules I would imagine at the very least the link will be removed from your post.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

Interesting, I removed the extra characters and still didn't get anywhere

PembsUsers
Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Thanks to all - when I posted the link it has no additional letters/characters it ended with the dot com.  I had a message from RobbieMac who kindly edited the link out 

@licquorice It's alright for some !  If on the carrier on the way back it is touching one of the blocking IPs you would return the same as me / half the internet - that is to say those IPs who HAVE applied a restriction 

@VeteranISPUser I know what should be there, it's just getting to it.  Strangely email to the domain and the dns lookup works just fine - there are all sorts of reasons why folks need to be able to refer to domains / websites whether someone agrees or thinks they are dodgy or not 🙂 

@gg30340  yes, I didn't know about the no-link thing.  Sorted courtesy of RobbieMac 

So how do I sort this out.  It isn't really right or fair to restrict or impose blocks on a perfectly ordinary domain.  I am not a bit happy if this is in fact the case and BT have imposed this at the wish of DCMS or RR unit or whoever instructs BT with what can and cannot be accessed on our network because it doesn't politically suit them.  In fact it's Orwellian to even think of it 

I find that if I go to the library the link works and does in fact display a donation page and little else - it couldn't possibly be misconstrued as anything else and anyway whose business is it of anyone's to account for my political tastes !!  It's certainly not BT's 

Thanks for all the replies - and info about getting this daftness sorted out (if it's from BT ) would be appreciated

*peace* 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

BT are not blocking it. I could access it on a BT connection.