cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
usermac
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 7

Websites think I am in Northen Ireland when am in the south of England

My IP that has been provided by bt is giving me a ip adress for North Ireland this is a pain because some websites like speed test.net will not let me connect to london servers. 

Anyway to correct my geoloction for the IP BT has given me ?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Websites think I am in Northen Ireland when am in the south of England

It depends on which POP (Point Of Presence) site you are routed to.

If you turn off the home hub, wait a couple of minutes, and then turn it on again, you may find that you are connected to a different one.

0 Ratings
usermac
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 7

No idea all I know Is I am not able to connect to speed test and use the london servers to run a test only it gives me dublin and also I have been disconect from discord server temp because it see a different ip login from  North Ireland.

Something is going on with the way my broadband is being routed. Can a mod find out what is going on with the routing on my line ? 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

There is nothing that BT Retail can do about your routing, as this is determined by BT Wholesale, and is likely to change every time your public IP address changes.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Sage
Message 5 of 7

Speedtest.net allows you to choose any server in the world to connect to.

0 Ratings
usermac
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 7

I get that you can manually choose London server but at the begining the speed test.net runs a test for local servers nearest me and in brings up dublin because My IP is showing that it is from Ireland.

Only way to fix this is by changing locaion via a VPN and I should not have to be doing that. I cant contact open reach I am not there customer BT is. BT should bring this  openreach's attention a mod should have the know how or something to guide this. please 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

There is nothing anybody can do to change any routing.

As @Keith_Beddoe said, if it bothers you that much just disconnect from line and get a different IP which may or may not route differently.

0 Ratings