cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
impster
Contributor
Message 1 of 18

What is the current state of play re BT Smarthub / HH6 - would appreciate a moderator's response.

Well,

another hour or so wasted on BT Chat, but, an admission that 'BT are aware of issues with Smarthub', and, despite clearly stating that my second or third HH6 (can't remember, been through so many of them) have developed problems since updating to latest firmware, poor old 'Shreshth' on online help simply wants to send a replacement HH6 to me.

Currently am using both a HH5 and a 3rd party router (borrowed) which proves the service works as it should. But I would prefer to use the HH6 for the additional range it has.

Can anyone tell me please what issues BT are aware of, what measures they are taking to resolve it, and how long before a proper firmware update is available.

The issues I'm experienceing are, once the HH6 has updated it's firmware, the service becomes unusable, I'm unable to access the home page, and takes an age to re-connect (up to 4 hours!!!). Even then, it's a sloppy, unstable connection. As soon as I use another type of router, everything is Ok.

So, please, BT, just own up to this, and tell us what you're doing to fix this farce.

Can't you even revert to previous firmware until a stable new one is ready?

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: What is the current state of play re BT Smarthub / HH6 - would appreciate a moderator's response

@impster wrote:

Well,

Currently am using both a HH5 and a 3rd party router (borrowed) which proves the service works as it should. But I would prefer to use the HH6 for the additional range it has.

A third party router with external aerials will give a much better range than the HH6.

impster
Contributor
Message 3 of 18

Re: What is the current state of play re BT Smarthub / HH6 - would appreciate a moderator's response

Yes I know.

But, having paid for a service which includes equipment, I expect that it should be fit for purpose.

I think too many people are resorting to buying their own equipment and not complaning and persisting with BT to put things right.

It's a complete disgrace the way BT (and it would seem, moderators and admins on this site) are hiding heads in the sand on this.

0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 4 of 18

@impster

The reason a lot of people buy their own kit is not the last 'resort' so to say, it is because they are knowledgeable enough to know that the ISP supplied kit, be it from BT, SKY, virgin, whatever is limited in functionality.  Deliberately simple so users can't break things, the support people have simple scripts to follow and need very little knowledge of the subject matter also the ISP can access the thing remotely and force upgrades or modifications whether the user wants them or not.

So we buy our own kit because we want full control over our connection and network free from outside interference.  Not to mention the vastly improved capabilities, like stability for starters.

impster
Contributor
Message 5 of 18

Fair enough. Keep buying your own equipment, doesn't bother me.

My point is that BT should be held responsible and accountable for providing equipment that is for for purpose.

Simply strolling into Curry's and buying a router is easy enough. I've done it many times, but enough is enough. I just want a router that works, and expect that where an ISP provides one that it should be at least able to do what it advertises that it does.

Anyway, are there any moderators or admins about to answer me? 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 18

BT and all the other ISPs should do the smart thing and not supply any equipment and just supply the broadband line and leave it up to the individual user to decide what modem/router they want to use in order to connect to the Internet.

The problem with that is that the majority of people don't have clue about how broadband works or how the equipment to connect to it works so they expect a simple plug and play solution. Unfortunately every broadband line is individual with its own length, connections etc so while one size fits all may work for the majority it does not work for every one and this means that when there is a problem, the customer can not accept that occasionally problems happen.

There is no doubt that for what ever reason some users have a problem with the HH6 and while I am not defending BT or its equipment, there are equally as many if not more customers that have no problems.

I have read many posts on the forum blaming the HH6 for their problems when the problem it is obviously not the HH6 and equally there are as many people blaming their connection when it is obviously the HH6 that is the problem so I don't think it is as simple as you would suggest just to say that the HH6 is not fit for purpose.

impster
Contributor
Message 7 of 18

I work as head of a IT department for a local authority, working on servers, wi-fi, internal ISDN based systems and or own multi location telecoms array.

I assure you I know what I'm doing.

The issue here is that BT equipment, often paid for by customers, more often used as a bribe tactic of a free router, is in the case of the hh6 not fit for purpose for whatever reason. Other third party routers, in most cases solve the problems.

So, my issue with BT is that they should acknowledge to customers that there is a problem. I've had half acknowledgements but no information on where they are with a firmware solution.

So, for the third time, I'm asking for a moderator or administrator to respond please.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 18

If you read my post you will see I was pointing out that the BT Smarthub, which is some times paid for separately but more often supplied as part of a package and not as a bribe, does work for many people just as it sometimes does not for others.

I am sure you will find that I never said you did not know what you are doing but now that you have said you are head of an IT department for a local authority, working on servers, wi-fi, internal ISDN based systems and or own multi location telecoms array I do find it surprising that you use a cheap ISP router.

BT would appear to have acknowledged that some of the Smarthubs have a problem by virtue of the fact that they will replace them if faulty and have pushed out firmware "updates" to try and resolve the reported problems.

As regards a moderator or administrator responding to your post, good luck with that but I doubt it. 

Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 18

This is a customer to customer self help forum posts made here do not go to BT although the forum is moderated by BT not every post is read
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 18

From personal experience I have used a Hub 6 since May last year and have had no problems of any type with it as is normal posters on forums' highlight problems people who have no problems do not post
0 Ratings