cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sigilita
Message 1 of 5

What kind of Wake on Lan Setup do I need if my PC is upstairs?

Good morning. As the title said, I have my OpenReach and BT hub downstais and AFAIK, the BT Hub nees to be plugged to the OpenReach box. Currenly my PC is upstairs so I'm connecting using wifi but I would like to be able to wake up the pc remotely (It doesn't need to be from outside my intranet). 

What kind of configuration + hardware do I need in order to be able to wake up the pc using WOL (I have a rought idea about the configuration in the motherboard + windows that I need, I think that the problem is, how do I do it to send the package to the PC)

Thanks for the time

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: What kind of Wake on Lan Setup do I need if my PC is upstairs?

All you need is a wireless network adaptor that supports WOL

Sending the 'magic packet' is not the problem, you can do that from any device, it is being able to receive it on a wireless adaptor that is not always possible if the adaptor doesn't support it.

The modem/router setup is totally irrelevant, the router will just route the packet as any other traffic.

Sigilita
Message 3 of 5

Do you know about any wireless adapter that could work for this?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Afraid not.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

If you are connecting by wireless now your wireless card is probably already able to do it.

Have a look at this link

https://www.howtogeek.com/70374/how-to-geek-explains-what-is-wake-on-lan-and-how-do-i-enable-it/

0 Ratings