cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peelypeel
Message 1 of 7

What power line adapters work with the Simpler Networks provided by BT?

I currently use the provided Simpler Networks power line adapters, one plugged into my HH3 and the other for my BT Vision box. I want to also connect my desktop PC to the HH suing a power line adapter. Which ones will work with the ones I already have? 

As a side note, do I need to buy another pair, or will all three talk to each other, and know to use the one connected to the HH as the way to the internet?

Thanks in advance 🙂

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: What power line adapters work with the Simpler Networks provided by BT?

While in theory all powerline adaptors are to a recognised standard and should all talk to each other, in practice this doesn't always work and you are best to stick to the same adaptors or at the very least the same manufacturer. You do not need to install in pairs. You can add another one if that is all you need.

Peelypeel
Message 3 of 7

Thank you, that’s exactly what I needed to know.

Minor follow-up question. If I buy a pair of 500Mbps plugs, and connect one of those to the HH and the other to the desktop, and then the third (original) 200Mbps plug to my Vision box, will the desktop get 500Mbps (well, 'faster' speeds) or will it be pulled down to the 200Mbps because of a 200Mbps node on the network?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

It will drop to the speed of the slowest adaptor. For your info, you will not get the speed advertised for the adaptors, they will run slower.

Peelypeel
Message 5 of 7

Ok, thanks. I think I'll still by the 500Mbps ones, even if they do get slowed down, they will speed back up again when I upgrade my network in the future when I need more than 200mbps.

And yes, I know the difference between 'theoretical maximum of 500mbps' and the realities of ~300mbps, but thanks for mentioning it.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 6 of 7

I know the difference between 'theoretical maximum of 500mbps' and the realities of ~300mbps,

You are very lucky to get that, I (and many other people) get around 90Mbps out of 500Mbps adaptors.  It depends a hugely on the mains wiring.

0 Ratings
db218
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

If a powerline adapter is plugged into HH ports 1,2,3 you can get no more than 100 Mbps they are only Fast Ethernet ports and cannot go any faster.

You would be better with Gigabit switches, Cat5e ethernet cables and a theoretical maximum of 1000 Mbps which you only DONT get when there is an ethernet packet collision, and only connecting via HH3 or HH4 port 4 the GigE port

If you put a fast ethernet switch in the wrong place you will only get 100 Mbps across it.

0 Ratings