cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 14

What router works with bt tv/youview and has qos?

Go to solution

I've got an xr300 already for most of my network. however i have to use a bt hub as my modem and router for my two bt boxes with this as it doesnt have multicast support. So when someones watching BT TV the rest of the network lags and has packet bursting non stop.

I tried a vr400 but two units failed on me.

Can anyone recommend a router/modem which has QOS and supports BT TV/Youview I can use to replace the BT hub?

I'm sick of asking people to use the bt app and stream it to the tv.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Re: What router works with bt tv/youview and has qos?

Go to solution

@George14 

I  use an Asus DSL-AC68U which does the job very well.

As for the lag experienced I'd suspect that maybe you've got some 5/8 port switches in your network that don't support IGMP Snooping.

So what will happen is that the multicast BT stream will be blasted to all ethernet connected devices. IGMP snooping enabled switches direct the stream to the requesting device & no other. I can recommend TP-Link TL-SG105/8 switches for this.

Message 3 of 14

Go to solution

Thanks for the response. £250 on more hardware seems so wasteful. Any chance BT would cover the cost of this so i can actually use the service I am paying for?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution

Of course not, why should they?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution

So I can use my internet as intended. Not have you view boxes hijack the whole connection and create latency issues on all other devices. Or atleast offer a firmware update with qos or something to make it useable. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

@George14 

You don't really need QoS , it's a case of ensuring that any switch etc supports IGMP Snooping as I've already mentioned so as to prevent flooding all ethernet connected devices with the multicast transmission.

I'm sure that the BT Hubs support this but if they don't then a 5-port switch like I've recommended connected directly to the hub and all other ethernet cables plugged into that switch would overcome that deficiency - if it exists.

Explain how your network is set up and maybe I/we can refine the advice.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution

Ok thanks, will look into this.

currently

BT SH> Bt power line>xr300> upstairs devices

BT SH> BT power line > you view box1

bt SH>  Bt power line > you view box 2

bt SH > bt power line > bt hh5 > back of house devices.

im sure this isn’t optimal but without you view boxes everything works perfectly. 10ms ping on games using xr300 qos and anti buffer bloat and no packet bursting. Before installing xr300 I had 40-80ms ping and constant dropped packets. Unfortunately I can’t use the xr300 as a main router as it doesn’t support you view boxes.

large house so need a few networks for WiFi and don’t want to invest more in bt hardware like mesh

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

@George14 

Out of curiosity how are you configuring the HH5 & XR300 (Nighthawk I assume) to work with the SmartHub?

Connected to the SH you've a single powerline adapter and then multiple slaves elsewhere , is that correct?

Assuming the above supposition is correct the SH knows what port to send the multicast stream to but the powerline adapter doesn't & I don't think ever could as the stream is just blasted to the mains and picked up by all the slaves. That's my best guess theory.

Replacing the SmartHub with one with QoS I can't see being an option as all the traffic is over the mains.

Just a thought, if you had an IGMP Snooping enabled switch set between the slave adapters and the XR300/HH5 they might know that the multicast stream wasn't requested by any of the devices attached to it therefore ignore it. That might work and for the outlay of £15 for one of the TL-SG105s just to test the theory could work and if it didn't then not much lost.

Message 9 of 14

Go to solution

I’ve got them running on individual lan ports to individual power line adapters, didn’t want to get too congested on a single one. I’ve bought a cheap to link router and the suggested network switch so I’ll give these a go tonight and let you know if I sort it, will try your tip. Thanks very much.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution

So I havent set up the switch yet, may do for a nas though. I installed a tplink w9970 instead of my BT SH, all the issues have been resolved. I appreciate your effort in helping me.

0 Ratings