cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

What to choose to get vpn, Asus dsl or Asus RT?

Hi

I want to change my router to be able to use nordvpn and am wondering which kit would be better for me. I have a smart hub 2 connected to a phone socket ,my broadband is fiber 2 because the best I can have at my address is 42-44 Mbps . I am thinking about disconnect the smart hub 2 and instead connect the Asus dsl 68 or Asus dsl 88 or the other option which is disconnect  smart hub and connect Openreach Huawei modem (used,£20 on ebay) with Asus RT ac 86u? What do you think is better? Maybe in the future  I will change internet provider to get faster speed and maybe it will be Vodafone gigafast 

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: What to choose to get vpn, Asus dsl or Asus RT?

If all your line can deliver is 42-44Mbps then Fibre 1, which will deliver speeds up to 50Mbps, would be the better package cost wise for you. It will make no difference changing your Internet provider because they all, with the exception of Virgin, use the same lines to deliver the broadband to your address.

The only way you will get any increase will be if your area changes to have Fibre To The Premises (FTTP) rather than your present VDSL Fibre To The Cabinet (FTTC).

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: What to choose to get vpn, Asus dsl or Asus RT?

@Rob7613 

I'd avoid the Asus dsl-ac88 as it doesn't seem to be well supported by Asus whereas the dsl-ac68U does.

If you go the separate modem & router route then you perhaps have more flexibility for the future if you get one of the fibre to the home products as the combined modem/router devices are not easy to configure for FTTH services.

Only you can decide what's best for you though.