cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

WhatsApp and FaceTime Poor Connection

Good Morning All,

I hope you are all safe and well. 

I’ve been with BT Fibre now for over 3 years. Last year I moved house but continued with BT Fibre. I’m using the BT router supplied and it is indicating a download speed of approx 28 Mbps and upload speed 5 Mbps. It’s not amazingly fast but suitable for my needs. The problem I am having and have had is that the quality of FaceTime and WhatsApp video calls is appalling. I am using an iPhone 11 Pro Max and both either report poor connection and drop the call or I am waiting on hold while it attempts to find a decent signal. Nine times out of ten the call freezes and I have to redial. Interestingly FaceTime is typically better than WhatsApp but they both do suffer. Has anyone else suffered this problem and found a fix? Everything else is working fine. I can stream 4K content and download at speeds close to what the router is indicating so the bandwidth is there. Any help would be appreciated. 
Thanks. 

As an added note all parental and web controls are turned off. 

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: WhatsApp and FaceTime Poor Connection

Have you tried this suggestion?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250704276 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. 

Yes I’ve tried that but to no avail. I’m typically sat close by the router when I make the calls so it shouldn’t be a WLAN issue. To be honest my wife has the same problem on her iPhone 11 Pro so I can only assume it’s something with the broadband connection or the router itself. 

Cheers. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Hi

I'm a new BT customer, joined end November 2020. I have exactly the same issues as you describe. I wonder if this is some video call traffic shaping by BT? I don't have any Parental control set up.

I've called BT customerservices and they are sending an engineer out soon. in my opinion, this is unnecessary, as my movie streaming and broadband speed is generally fine, though not amazing. So this issue must be some software setting related at BT server side. 

Hope some BT expert can help.

Thanks,

Kumar

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

i would be interested if you get this sorted. My family have been on BT for years and never had an issue with WhatsApp video calling until a few months ago. When trying to make a call it seems take an age to connect and the other person always complains of the call dropping out, and we can see poor connection on the phone screens. This occurred all of a sudden and effected all phones in our household, i cant be sure of the exact time this started, but knew during the first lockdown in March, it was working fine, as we used it daily, and would have multiple people on the call. The phones   are a mixture of IPhones and Androids. They work fine when connected to 4G or another Wi-Fi, so can only assume its a setting or something. But very annoying.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Did you ever get this resolved, as I have this issue on Facetime and everything else is fine, just Facetime. I can only see it's some sort of QoS issue.

0 Ratings