cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

When uploading my download speed goes to almost nothing

Hi,

I hope someone can help. I use the upload side of my connection quite heavily as I am a cameraman and often send large files of footage over FTP software. My connection isn’t the best as I live in quite a (very) rural area. I’m actually very grateful I have Fibre 1 to my house. 

The problem is, when I send a 7GB file to someone, it takes most of the day to upload (which is fine) but in doing so it absolutely kills my download for the whole time it’s uploading - to the point I can’t even open a web page or refresh emails on my laptop or phone.

I have had the line checked and all seems ok (even though BT say it could be faster) but it seems to be a router issue and not the line as when I’m not uploading my download speeds are fine. 

I’m about to splash out on a 3rd party router in the hope this changes things, but thought I’d post in here incase anyone can help before I do that? I have the neeest BT Home Hub I believe.

Kind regards,

Nick

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: When uploading my download speed goes to almost nothing

@Nickhyena 

Please see the explanation on this thread, which applies to all broadband connections.

https://community.bt.com/t5/ADSL-Copper-broadband/uploading-kills-my-download-speed/m-p/2134496#M278...

Specifically this post https://community.bt.com/t5/ADSL-Copper-broadband/uploading-kills-my-download-speed/m-p/2134496#M278...

You need to give the device doing the uploading, a low priority, so it uploads in the background.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Hi Keith,

Thanks for getting back to me and thank you for your help. Would I be able to do this restricting without buying a new router, but by simply turning WiFi off on my home hub and using a TP link extender pack as my WiFi connection....and then using the download management priorities within that? I’m looking to get the TP link Deco E4 which I believe have a lot of device management settings...?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

@Nickhyena 

Please delete the Amazon link as 3rd party links not permitted on forum

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Sorry, I didn’t realise.  Deleted the link 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Upload control has to be applied at router level as that has full control over the order of which the packets are forwarded to the network. The router creates a queue of outgoing requests, and then forwards device requests depending on priority and bandwidth limitation.

If you want to keep what you are using, then you simply have to restrict the upload speed of your FTP program.

The only problem with that is that it will not be able to take advantage of any idle time, when nothing is being downloaded. 

I doubt very much you will achieve what you want, using any of the BT Home hubs, as there is no way to control the order in which packets are forwarded to the network.

0 Ratings