cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FruityJelly
Message 1 of 6

Which Router Can I Use?

I don't have Infinity because we don't have fibre in the village yet.

The router we currently have is Home Hub 2 which keeps dropping iPads and laptops.

We then have to restart the router to get them back on again.

Currently have a desktop pc, a printer and RAID drive (backup disc system) plugged in with ethernet cables.

BT won't upgrade me without us going onto Infinity which they can't supply to us anyway.

Which router will work for us?  Can I use a Home Hub 5 without being on Infinity?

Will the hub give me a faster transfer speed between the units plugged into the hub?

I'm currently getting about 90 Mbps.

Thank you for your help.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Which Router Can I Use?

Any ADSL modem/router will suffice as you don't have Infinity. Have a look at TP-Link and Billion models. Don't waste money buying a Home Hub.

If you are likely to be getting Infinity at some point, it might be worth considering a VDSL modem/router, all are capable of ADSL as well.

0 Ratings
FruityJelly
Message 3 of 6

Thank you.

We have no idea when Infinity will ever be available in the village, but would like it.

Please can you recommend which routers are suitable from either manufacturer that would be better than the Home Hub and would speed up data transfer.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Any third party router you buy will be better than a Home Hub. You need to look at the specs of various routers and decide what whistles and bells are important to you. If you need fast transfer within your LAN, you need to be looking at routers with GbE ports and fast wireless if needed. If it is only for Internet access, then your broadband speed will be the governing factor and any cheap router will do.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
pcfarrar
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 6

If cost isn't an issue the Draytek 2860AC is very stable and reliable. It is also BT SIN approved for Infinity.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 6

Or Asus DSL-AC68U for ADSL or Inifinity

0 Ratings