cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Which access point to buy (to hard wire via Ethernet cable)

I need some help/advice, please.

I have a BT Smart Hub (6) and need to create a second WiFi connection on a lower floor as it’s a black spot. 

The second location has an Ethernet connection which is plugged into the TV.

I’d like to install a gizmo (access point?) to provide a WiFi signal while proving a cable to the TV too.

Very grateful of any suggestions.

Thank you.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: Which access point to buy (to hard wire via Ethernet cable)

Hi @ZippyLondon 

Welcome to the Community!

Do you have an Old Home Hub? You could reuse it for this purpose, by changing a few settings.

Otherwise, the TP-Link TL-WA801ND is very in-expensive and will be fine for web browsing and video streaming etc.

Thanks

--
If I have helped you in anyway please press the Kudo button (thumbs up)
If I have resolved your post please click 'Mark as Accepted Solution'
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Thanks, @albertj, I don;'t have a spare I'm afraid, so your suggestion for the TP kit might be for me. Are they easy enough to set up and do they come with a port for the TV?

Thanks again.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 4 of 5

Hi @ZippyLondon 

Oh OK, sounds good. You could use any router, I forgot to say. 

I also meant to say that you would also have to buy a switch so you could plug the TV and AP in at the same time, as the Access point does not have a switch. While switches are inexpensive, it is another box to have around and take up a plug socket.

In this case, I would recommend an ASUS RT-AC51U. While it is a router, it has an Access Point mode which is very easy to configure.

It also has a built-in switch so you can plug in your TV. The cost of the two products is about the same as the Asus as well. 

I have one of these products and will be happy to help with any problems setting up.

Thanks

--
If I have helped you in anyway please press the Kudo button (thumbs up)
If I have resolved your post please click 'Mark as Accepted Solution'
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

The TP Link TL WA801ND appears to have only one LAN port which I presume would be used when you feed your broadband signal into it from your Ethernet socket in the room beside your TV.

In order to have an Ethernet connection to your TV and an Ethernet connection to The TP Link, you would require to have a network switch connected to the Ethernet wall socket. The switch would allow an Ethernet cable to go from the switch to the TV and another Ethernet cable from the switch to go to the TP Link which in turn would give you a wireless connection.

EDIT: Post crossed with the one above.