Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Whole Home Wi-Fi compatibility with WAP

Hi there,

Im hoping somebody can help. I have the set of 3 Whole Home Wi-fi discs which give great coverage inside the house. However, outside the house is not so good. I have bought a cheap wireless access point that is single band and I have configured it with the same SSID and password as the 3 discs. I get a strong signal outside now but it as I seem to mostly get a 5 GHz signal inside, I have to wait for this to drop out before I pick up a 2.4 GHz signal outside. So my question is, if I were to buy a non BT dual Chanel WAP  , will this work seamlessly with the other discs and will the signal switch seamlessly to a 5Ghz signal when I go outside. I do not want to try and use an add on disc outside, even though it is sheltered from the weather. Any help or advice would be gratefully received. Many thanks. 

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Whole Home Wi-Fi compatibility with WAP

No, the technology is different. You need a mesh system like the whole home to switch seamlessly. A WAP won't be part of the mesh.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

So what are my options? Buy an add/on disc and use it with the other discs? Replace all discs with another make of access points with mesh technology? Switch off 5Ghz on BT home hub?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

You could try giving the WAP a different SSID, it might switch quicker (might not but worth a try). Is it that critical to have seamless roaming between locations?

0 Ratings