cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
psykix
Contributor
Message 11 of 20

Re: Whole home Wi-fi - how much loss of speed is to be expected from black discs compared to smart h

There is another SSID called Hidden Network which I presume is the backhaul.

Most mesh systems use a separate 5Ghz band for the backhaul.

0 Ratings
psykix
Contributor
Message 12 of 20

Re: Whole home Wi-fi - how much loss of speed is to be expected from black discs compared to smart h

And just to add..

You can also cable the discs, and then it uses ethernet for the backhaul.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 20

@psykix wrote:

There is another SSID called Hidden Network which I presume is the backhaul.

Most mesh systems use a separate 5Ghz band for the backhaul.

Is that coming from the smart hub, and what wireless channel is it on?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 20

@psykix wrote:

And just to add..

Just acting as an expensive wireless access point then?

0 Ratings
psykix
Contributor
Message 15 of 20

It must be from the Smart Hub 2, as it only appeared when I switched to one, and it has full signal strength. Can't tell what band because you can't connect to it. I'd be 99% sure it's 5Ghz - no modern mesh system would use 2.4Ghz for the backhaul.

0 Ratings
psykix
Contributor
Message 16 of 20

There's nothing wrong with having them working as an AP. In fact if you have the ability to wire them, then it is preferable.

I tried a disc wired, and it worked great. I've since moved it upstairs though and it's working great with wireless backhaul.

I get the same speed (broadband) on the disc as I do on the hub.

I intend to get another disc and use it wired in my garage - I have a server in there and a wifi security camera, but the wifi from the house doesn't quite reach.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 20

A wireless utility running on an Android phone would tell you the band and channel.

The problem with a 5GHz backhaul, is the very limited range, before the signal would drop off, with a corresponding drop in connection speed. Of course, a lot more discs closer together would solve that, if it was a true mesh network.

Probably needs more investigation.

0 Ratings
psykix
Contributor
Message 18 of 20

I fired up a wifi analyser from the Windows Store. The hidden one seems to use both bands.

Weird.

I'd be interested to see the tech specs of the Whole Home Wifi - details are scant!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 19 of 20

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

@psykix wrote:

And just to add..

Just to keep things in one place on this subject:-

There are hidden channels on both 2.4 GHz and 5Ghz.

Some observations if relevant....
If you wander out of range of 5GHz with a handheld device, then the connection reverts to 2.4GHz.  On and older Android, OS 6.0.1, then It takes around 10 minutes to revert to the 5GHz connection.
The iPhone, iOS 12.1.3, reverts quickly. It's difficult to measure the time, or the levels.
System seems to work well, with it's built in threshholds - time to switch between 2.4GHz and 5GHz, and the actual signal levels at which the switch occurs. There's no user control of this. 

In practice the peformance seems to be as good as splitting the 2.4GHz, 5 GHz connections.

Clearly the system is more stable for stationary devices, and not handhelds.
Yet more variables for wifi calling, streaming, etc, when just in and out of range, of what?  Smiley LOLSmiley LOL

0 Ratings
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 20 of 20

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

@psykixwrote:

And just to add..

Well... not really; there are still benefits. Even with a wired connection as the backhaul, you still get the benefits of the blanket coverage across the entire home on a single SSID, and automatic connection to the best disc.

0 Ratings