Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Venomx
Expert
Message 1 of 12

Why Do IP Addresses Change ?

Go to solution

Every time i reboot my router my IP address changes, why is this ?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Why Do IP Addresses Change ?

Go to solution

residentila ip address are dynamic and change as you can see  you need a business connection to get a fixed ip address

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Techwizz
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution
Because the router has a DHCP server which lends out addresses. Each time the router is rebooted, the DHCP table is reset and new addresses are issued. Sometimes the same address can't be given twice.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

Because its dynamically assigned from a number of IP ranges assigned to BT retail. There are not enough IPv4 IP adresses to give everyone their own IP address.

The answer is not to reboot the home hub,

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

@Techwizz wrote:
Because the router has a DHCP server which lends out addresses. Each time the router is rebooted, the DHCP table is reset and new addresses are issued. Sometimes the same address can't be given twice.

The home hub`s DHCP table is not reset, which is one of the faults of the home hub.

Venomx
Expert
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks @Keith_Beddoe

My HomeHub 6 reboots every 14 days and has done for the past two years :?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

@Venomx wrote:

Thanks @Keith_Beddoe

My HomeHub 6 reboots every 14 days and has done for the past two years :?

mine used to do that as well and only comfort I can give that it just stopped all of a sudden     my last reset due to firmware update I had 50+ days stable

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
mike50501
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

Shouldn't  make any difference to your use of the internet in most circunstances, but another reason I like to use my own router and set static IP addresses for my devices. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

Static addresses are set on devices themselves. Address reservation is where a router gives the same IP address to a given MAC address via DHCP. Address reservation is available on home hubs. Address reservation is often misnamed static addressing.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

@mike50501

I think @Venomx is talking about the Public Internet IP address, not the local LAN IP address, which can be fixed.

0 Ratings