cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lasergirl
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Why can't I play cds?

Just switched to BT & now find I can't manage to play any music cds!! This should be so simple & it's driving me crazy! Anyone got any ideas as to what I need to do - please, please please!!!

laser girl

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Why can't I play cds?

you need to provide more information - are you trying to play from another device on your network?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 6

I honestly, honestly honestly don't think that was caused by BT, or by having broadband.

What happens when you put a CD in the drive, do you get a flashing activity light, can you hear the CD spinning up in the drive.

When a Cd is in the drive, try clicking on the "Start Menu" then on "My Computer" does a disc show in the drives in the window. If so right click on it, does it show in the menu "Play" or "Play with".

Have you tried a DVD, does it play.

What happens when you insert a data CD like the BT Install cd, does it start the install.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Andy_W
Contributor
Message 4 of 6

This is a long shot, but I have just become aware that the CD/DVD drive on my PC is not working. I don't use it that much, so I don't know how long it has been like that. However, about 3 weeks ago I got a new Hub 3, and in the pack was a Total Broadband CD. I put in the PC to see what was on it, and it wouldn't read or load. I tried it several times then gave up. The thing I noticed about it was a circular ridge surrounding a white plastic central doughnut-shaped area, just about 10mm in from the central hole. The ridge was on the playing side, so it was underneath as you loaded the disc into the PC. It protrudes probably less than 0.5 mm from the surface, but it is very noticeable as you handle the disk. I can't help but wonder if it has damaged my drive in some way.

I am surfing like mad trying to find a clue as to whether the drive needs to be replaced or what, and have tried all sorts of ideas in device manager and registry, but outcome is zilch so far. I have ordered a CD/DVD cleaning disk to see if it is dust on the laser eye. The drive is visible in device manager, the light flashes when you put a disk in, but it doesn't read any kind of disk. It usually ejects when you try to do something like burn a CD, giving a message like "insert blank media".

This OP is a bit of a coincidence it seems to me, so I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

Andy

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 6

it looks like we will never know the outcome as the poster never came back.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
meman887
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

@Andy_W wrote:

This is a long shot, but I have just become aware that the CD/DVD drive on my PC is not working. I don't use it that much, so I don't know how long it has been like that. However, about 3 weeks ago I got a new Hub 3, and in the pack was a Total Broadband CD. I put in the PC to see what was on it, and it wouldn't read or load. I tried it several times then gave up. The thing I noticed about it was a circular ridge surrounding a white plastic central doughnut-shaped area, just about 10mm in from the central hole. The ridge was on the playing side, so it was underneath as you loaded the disc into the PC. It protrudes probably less than 0.5 mm from the surface, but it is very noticeable as you handle the disk. I can't help but wonder if it has damaged my drive in some way.

I am surfing like mad trying to find a clue as to whether the drive needs to be replaced or what, and have tried all sorts of ideas in device manager and registry, but outcome is zilch so far. I have ordered a CD/DVD cleaning disk to see if it is dust on the laser eye. The drive is visible in device manager, the light flashes when you put a disk in, but it doesn't read any kind of disk. It usually ejects when you try to do something like burn a CD, giving a message like "insert blank media".

This OP is a bit of a coincidence it seems to me, so I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

Andy

Sounds to me that the laser unit inside needs to be replaced, but would be just cheaper to replace the drive itself. If you do decide to get a replacement drive go for a external drive but leave the internal one where it is but disconnect the power and data cable from it.

the reason why I've said go for an external drive instead, is because external CD/DVD drives require less cleaning than internal drives do and also seem to last a lot longer from observations.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Motto:
Going to kill my HomeHub 2 very soon. 🙂
0 Ratings