cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Fellwalker
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 5

Why does my hub lose Internet access even though its blue light stays on solid?

Is tehre anything I can do?We have BT Infinity 2 which for BT tests at 74 down, 20 up. I am hard wired to my HH6 which is within a few feet. We also have several WiFi devices, including laptops, phones and tablets, though at most two are in use at once.  We have powerline networking to feed the BT YouView box.

Every few days, for about 10 or 15 minutes at a time, the internet is unavailable.  It has just happened again whilst posting a response on another forum.

The blue light on the Home Hub stays blue, signifying that it has a connection to the internet.  On ALL machinery attached, the message is either waiting, or unable to connect, or no internet.  If we happen to be streaming using the YouView catch up, it just stops, and gives a spinning disc.

This is NOT new.  We have had it on a HH3, HH5 and now on a HH6.  The line tests OK. We've had a replacement HH5 in the past.  The firmware on the hub was updated early this morning.

When it does happen, I sometimes haven't been able to get to the HH GUI.  By the time I got there today, the internet was already back.

Thinkbroadband tests the connection at 44/18 but with poor quality 

Quality 2.95(E) is worse than average 0.46 on your ISP(A) for VDSL2/FTTC

[url=https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?test=1566587016192137355][img]https://www.thinkbroadband.com/_assets/speedtest/button/1566587016192137355.png[/img][/url]
Product name:

BT Hub 6A

Serial number:

+084316+NQXXXXXXXX7

Firmware version:

SG4B1000E01E

Firmware updated:

23-Aug-2019

Board version:

Gui version:

DSL uptime:

0 Days, 16 Hours 13 Minutes 37 Seconds

Data rate:

20.00 Mbps / 74.00 Mbps

Maximum data rate:

30416 / 81293

Noise margin:

12.7 dB / 7.8 dB

Line attenuation:

14.4 dB

Signal attenuation:

0 dB / 14.4 dB

VPI / VCI:

0/38

Modulation:

G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type:

Fast Path

Data sent / received:

2689 MB Uploaded / 6030 MB Downloaded

Broadband username:

bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:

Active

2.4 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-5FC2

2.4 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 1)

5 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-5FC2

5 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 36)

Wireless security:

WPA2 (Recommended)

Wireless mode:

Mode 1

Firewall:

On

MAC address:

A0:XX:XX:XX:CF:47

Software variant:

-

Boot loader:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To err is human, but to really mess it up requires a computer
Tags (3)
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Why does my hub lose Internet access even though its blue light stays on solid?

0 Ratings
Fellwalker
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 5

Re: Why does my hub lose Internet access even though its blue light stays on solid?

Thanks Keith.  Similar but what I had understood from the first post in that thread is that it never worked at all, and that there might be some sort of conflict with the ethernet switch or appple stuff.  We get many weeks or even months of uptime for the hub, even though from time to time it doesn't deliver internet to any of our devices.

I find it utterly galling to think I need to buy a new router because the specific one supplied to work with the system occasionally doesn't work.  It also means I have to go up in the loft and crawl around in a tight space to re-connect the solar panel monitor to its new wifi. Drat.

Do most people just ignore this sort of thing or is it a random issue that only affects some?  

I'm concerned that it is actually a problem with the line, and with a different router BT won't look at it.

If it is the way to get a consistently continuous connection, I'll investigate routers.  One thing we have found is the HH6 gives a good wifi signal, even acceptable in the far corner of the house from where it is - though for speed of connection we have a wifi outlet on one of the powerline adapters there.  (The best place for signal spread would be the bathroom, but electricity and water don't mix 😉)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Ratings
Fellwalker
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 5

Looks like I will be getting an alternate router.
The hub just did it again, and I was sitting here researching alternate routers so I tried to login to the hub to see what was happening. It could not connect, even hard wired as I am.
Eventually when I get in, there is never anything different in the event log ... it now shows uptime of 0 Days, 19 Hours 45 Minutes
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

Try the one I suggested as its not expensive, and will prove what the issue is. You can always return it if it makes no difference.

The TP-Link TD-W9970 for about £40 or less.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/products/details/cat-15_TD-W9970.html#specifications

If you must have 5GHz then you would have to look at

TP-Link AC1200 Wireless Dual Band VDSL/ADSL about £67

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/products/details/cat-15_Archer-VR400.html#specifications

They both work will all BT services, including BT YouView.

My daughter had the same issue at her house, but is fine now after I changed the router to the W9970. Her family has lots of devices, but I did add a BT mini hotspot 600 kit to extend Ethernet and wireless, as her house is a 1930s place with thick brick walls.

I can remote monitor her connection, and here its the current status. Notice the system up time.

There are currently 22 devices showing in the DHCP table, out of about 32 total.

Basic Status

Device Information

Firmware Version:0.9.1 0.2 v0076.0 Build 170919 Rel.61201n

Hardware Version:TD-W9970 v2 00000000

System Up Time:151 day(s) 14:31:51

DSL

Line Status:Connected

DSL Modulation Type:VDSL2

Annex Type:Annex A/L

Upstream Downstream
Current Rate (Kbps) 6376 40703
Max Rate (Kbps) 6376 42554