cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
milleniumaire
Contributor
Message 1 of 22

Why has BT Home Hub 5 Started Blocking Inbound UDP Packages

I'm on the BT Infinity Package and have been using BT broadband without problems since January 2015.  I do a lot of work from home using a work supplied laptop and connect into the office using a CISCO VPN client.  This has never failed to connect until yesterday and now it will NEVER connect.

My tech guys in the office say they can see the VPN connections being established and everything looks okay from their side, but the VPN client simply says "Not Connected" and I'm unable to access the office network.

If I take the laptop to a friends house, VPN works.  This suggests the issue is with my home network, or more specifically with the BT Home Hub 5 and so isn't a problem with the laptop, VPN client software or the remote office servers.

As far as I'm aware NOTHING has changed on the HH5 (I certainly have changed any config since setting it up in January).

Looking at the Event Log on the HH5, I can see the following entries:

IN: BLOCK [5] Fragmented packet (UDP 89.207.160.251 -> 213.122.120.148 fragment_offset=0)

Looking back through the Event Log history, these entries appear to have started at the point at which my VPN issues started.

The 89.207... IP address is the one used to connect through VPN and the other is my BT IP address.  So, it appears that the BT hub or BT servers are blocking inbound messages coming from the office VPN server.  This would explain why the tech guys see the connection being made, but my VPN client doesn't know it has been made!

Any idea WHY these packets are being blocked?  What can I do to stop this behaviour?  Why has this started happening?

This is driving me crazy as I'm unable to work from home.

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 22

Re: Why has BT Home Hub 5 Started Blocking Inbound UDP Packages

Check for IP sharing, and opt out if needed.

http://btsupport.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44044/c/6433

Also make sure that BT network based parental controls are not installed. BT have been enabling these by default.

0 Ratings
milleniumaire
Contributor
Message 3 of 22

Hi Keith and thanks for the prompt response.

I can confirm my broadband IP address is NOT being shared and BT Access Control is disabled.

I've looked through your help site, but nothing appears to be related to my issue.

I've done a few more tests - turned OFF the HH5 firewall - this made no difference.  The blocked UDP is DEFINITELY the thing causing the problem as I can replicate this EVERY time.

I just need to understand HOW to stop this blocking occurring.  Is it the HH5 blocking the traffic or is th HH5 reporting traffic that has been blocked at the BT end?  If the HH5 is doing the blocking, how do I stop it?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 22

It not the access control that you need to look at, its BT Patental controls which are applied at network level, and can be configured via MyBT.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/46960/related/1

0 Ratings
milleniumaire
Contributor
Message 5 of 22

Okay, I've checked and can confirm that BT Parent Controls have NOT been Activated.

I've just come off the phone with BT support, but unfortunately I didn't really get anywhere.  It was clear from the start that the guy didn't have the technical knowledge to help me, so I simply explained/showed him the issue.

He was unable to tell me if the blocking was being performed by the HH5 or by BT i.e. the Event Log is simply reporting what BT have blocked.

Obviously this matters as if the HH5 is doing the blocking I would hope there was a way of switching it off/working around it.  However, if it is the BT network/servers that are doing the blocking, there's NOTHING I can do to change that, so someone at BT would need to make "some" changes.

So, after an hour on the phone, I'm no closer to resolving the issue 😞

He did suggest I subscribe to BT Tech Experts and they "may" be able to help me.  Nice little earner for BT!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 22

You may consider using your own router, as you have better control of it.

The TP-LINK TD-W9980 is a popular choice at £62, and performs much better than the HH5.

Have you seen these posts https://community.bt.com/t5/Other-Broadband-Discussions/VPN-Connection/m-p/1495154/highlight/true#M1...

https://community.bt.com/t5/Other-Broadband-Discussions/VPN-HH5-UDP-and-MAC-Codes/m-p/1280457/highli...

A general search

https://community.bt.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=labels&q=hh5+vpn

0 Ratings
milleniumaire
Contributor
Message 7 of 22

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the links, I have requested further assistance through one of them, unfortunately it does appear that intermittent issue result in VPN not working on the HH5 and I'm not seeing any definate fixes.  The number of posts describing these problems are numerous, some of them quite old, with zero responses.

I can only assume this issue has been around for some time, but BT don't know what is causing it or chooses not to investigate.  I understand there are many different VPN clients, but working one day and not the next suggests "something" has been changed by BT.

I've subscribed to the BT Tech Experts pay service and spent time on the phone with them looking around my PC, but to no avail.  It appears that while they agree there IS a problem with incoming packages being blocked they have absolutately no idea what is blocking them or why!

Not much help to me I'm afraid.  I'm absolutely amazed that BT don't know how their own hubs work.  I wouldn't get away with this lack of knowledge in my own line of work!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 22

The home hub is basically a domestic appliance, easily maintained by BT at minimal cost. Anything out of the ordinary is going to present problems to BT support, as they are geared to dealing with the average user.

If you want something better, then you need to look at other VDSL routers, as other people on this forum have done.

0 Ratings
milleniumaire
Contributor
Message 9 of 22

Hi Keith,

If I was having problems from day one I would agree with you and I would have purchased a better alternative.  However, I've been happily using VPN on HH5 for 7 months without issue and it has only stopped working in the last day.  My HH5 event log has started to show blocked incoming UDP packages for my office server IP address.  Prior to yesterday the log doesn't show ANY such blocks.

Something has changed to cause this issue, but nobody at BT is owning up to knowing what has changed, or they genuinely don't know what has changed on the BT network to cause this issue.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 22

Have you tried a factory reset of the home hub?

0 Ratings