Re: Why?

Well Spotted IMJ  

Is your ISP BT ?

0 Ratings
Danje
Contributor
Message 12 of 21

Yes but it's obviously a BT phone line. There would be no difference in BT or Virgin Media. Just seeing as to why they allow such things like this to happen? I receive 1Mb but pay more than a 50Mb cable customer.... Why?!:(. BT ADSL is more expensive than Virgin Media by about £4 per month.
0 Ratings
Danje
Contributor
Message 13 of 21

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 2016 Kbps 512 Kbps
Line Attenuation 59.5 dB 31.5 dB
Noise Margin 10.6 dB 15.0 dB
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 21

Unfortunately as you are Not a BT Broadband Customer we are unable to help you you need to take it up with your provider as to there costings BT Retail like any ISP can and do set prices as they see fit

It costs Just as much to Provide Broadband over a short line as it does over a long one

As services are sold as an "UP TO" services It is down to the customer to chose who they wish to provide the service and they pay accordingly
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 21

For reference with your line attenuation and the normal BT default 6 db noise margin I would expect a 2.7mb connection speed you are connecting currently at 2.0mb
0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 16 of 21

Hi Danje,

Unfortunately as your with Virgin Media for your broadband then you will need to contact Virgin about your broadband speed.

This forum is for BT Retail Customers.

As john46 has said it costs just as much to provide a broadband service to those close to the exchange as it does to those further away (ie on a longer landline)

you can try http://community.virginmedia.com

Cheers

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Danje
Contributor
Message 17 of 21

Thanks for the replies, I understand I'm with Virgin Media but my concern is not with the provider but how all companies charge the same amount for someone on a package 20x the speed?

If the cost is exactly the same perhaps they should invest in upgrading the areas with better services (such as Infinity). We all know Virgin Media don't care and only supply fibre to old properties.

Street 200m away gets 72Mb with Infinity... FULL OF OLD PEOPLE?! How could the demand be so high there when it's a small amount of properties and I'm quite sure not many would buy or benefit from it? 

How do they work out their priorities? Surely it's not through 'register your interest' as the whole street here have done so! 

Seems Infinity is being installed in streets where Virgin Media have services, kind of going after the competitors rather than thinking of customers?

0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 18 of 21

Hi Danje,

your local exchange (RUGBY) is accepting orders for FTTC Fibre broadband but it doesn't mean everyone can get it.

To be able to get Fibre broadband such as BT Infinity your green telephone street cabinet will also need to be upgraded with a new FTTC Street Cabinet. Not all of these street cabinets in an exchange area are upgraded.

I have also checked your postcode against the leaked Openreach cabinet datasheet for 2011 and unfortunately for your post code it states your connected to P93 which wasn't currently on the Openreach Fibre Broadband Rollout plan. However the leaked datasheets are now old so are out of date. You can keep checking the BT Wholesale Database for upto date information.

Unfortunately BT Retail (a communication provider/ISP who operates this forum) does not have much say as to when and if you will be able to get FTTC or FTTP/H based broadband such as BT Infinity.

If the BT Wholesale Database checker doesn't meantion anything about WBC FTTC broadband for your number and/or address then it may be that your local Street Cabinet isn't currently on the Openreach Fibre Roll out plan.

You can register your interest for Fibre Broadband such as BT Infinity by going to http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/expression-gen.aspx 

Please bear in mind that in some cases it may not be possible to provide FTTC broadband in areas due to: 

• Your phone line may be connected directly to the telephone exchange and not to a local street cabinet - (Exchange Only Line [EO] )
• Your line may be too far from the local street cabinet to have a stable FTTC broadband service such as BT Infinity service.
• Your local street cabinet may not be suitable for fibre optic cables.
• We haven't yet got the council's planning permission to do the necessary work at your local street cabinet.
• Your home may not be suitable for fibre optic cables.
• Your landlord may not have agreed to the fibre infrastructure being provided in your building (for example if you live in a flat).

You can keep checking the BT Wholesale Database and BT Infinity website for the most upto date information as these are updated regularly.

The openreach When and Where website is: http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/

Also look out for these FTTC Cabinets on/near your street/area. If you see one near your old cabinet then you maybe in luck for Fibre broadband.

fttc_cabinet_medium2 copy.jpg

**The Fibre-Optic Broadband Rollout is being managed and done by Openreach for all communication providers/ISPs.
BT Retail (a communication provider/ISP) has nothing to do with the rollout of fibre broadband.**

Cheers

Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
Danje
Contributor
Message 19 of 21

Thank you once again, unfortunately I knew all of this information and have covered all the points.

• Your phone line may be connected directly to the telephone exchange and not to a local street cabinet - (Exchange Only Line [EO] )

My property is connected to the cabinet which is not connected directly to the exchange (although my old property was, but we received cable).
• Your line may be too far from the local street cabinet to have a stable FTTC broadband service such as BT Infinity service.

The cabinet is around 100m away from my house (200m is recommended max?)
• Your local street cabinet may not be suitable for fibre optic cables.

The street and cabinet location is perfectly fine for fibre, please see this: https://4sfb.crowdmap.com/reports/view/2478
• We haven't yet got the council's planning permission to do the necessary work at your local street cabinet.

I've contacted the council, there has been no planning permission issues, any plan put forward will and would of been granted as the council is also concerned over the lack of speed in Rugby.
• Your home may not be suitable for fibre optic cables.

As above, suitable.
• Your landlord may not have agreed to the fibre infrastructure being provided in your building (for example if you live in a flat).

Landlord has no issue with install, infact they've contacted them expressing concerns regarding lack of provision.

There's currently no BT Infinity cabinet in my street, the area around the cabinet is free and suitable for installation (I've even seen it built into the smaller green cabinet).

The checker has provided 100% compatibility and the current leaked information holds no information on the post code.

Thanks,

Dan

0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 20 of 21

The examples I have given for Openreach not installing a FTTC cabinet in your postcode area/street are only a small section of possibilities.

Power supply, financial costs, number of properties, and loads more variables are also a criteria when Openreach plan their fibre deployment. 

Also have a look here: http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/faq/

I'm afraid BT Retail (a communication provider/ISP who operates this forum) does not have much say as to when and if you will be able to get FTTC or FTTP/H based broadband such as BT Infinity.

The fibre broadband plans and deployment are all done by Openreach for all communication providers/ISPs.

If you have a demand for Fibre broadband on your street/area then I would look out for your councils community broadband scheme, also you can try your mp to see if they can push for your street/area to have FTTC.

Cheers

Try a Search
0 Ratings