Would it make sense to go back to hub 3 with modem
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 16

Re: Wi Fi Interference

@martinb2 wrote:
Hi Thanks, yes fibre broadband and yes did use a modem

With that arrangement, you would not have seen the drop in wireless, as the home hub 3 would carry on transmitting. What you may have seen is a slowdown in your broadband connection when the boiler switched on or off.

Also the Openreach modem is much better at dealing with interference, compared to the home hub 6.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 16

@martinb2 wrote:
Would it make sense to go back to hub 3 with modem

Yes its likely to be more stable. What was the reason for changing the home hub?

It still would be a good idea to see if the boiler is interfering. Is it an old boiler, similar to the ones I mentioned?

0 Ratings
martinb2
Message 14 of 16

It is a very old boiler and unfortunately our landlord will not change it all the time it is working. Upgrade from 3 to 6 to see if it would be quicker, which it is.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 16

@martinb2 wrote:
It is a very old boiler and unfortunately our landlord will not change it all the time it is working. Upgrade from 3 to 6 to see if it would be quicker, which it is.

Then you are stuck. Its quite likely that boiler is causing lots of interference locally, to peoples` TV and radio reception.

I spent many working years on Radio and TV Inteference (1970-80s), and old gas boilers were the worst offenders. During that time, before more stringent safety regualtions came in force, we used to fit a  suppression capacitor across the gas valve.

You might consider buying a wireless router, instead of using the HH3, as that would connect to the Openreach modem and give much better wifi performance than the HH3.

Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 16 of 16

Perhaps if a skilled gas maintenance engineer could look at your pilot jet and clean it up, removing the grit and blowing through it, you may see an improvement in the ignition, at least.

From bitter experience in the past I found a “volcano” on the pilot jet orifice, and had to clean it up, then call an  independent service engineer to do a safety check. Paid £50.00 over and above service contract.

So much for service contracts...

All they want to do is sell you a new boiler! I bought a new boiler a year or so later........more problems. 

10 years later on and now my new boiler is out of date.

0 Ratings