cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
martinb2
Message 1 of 16

Wi Fi Interference

When my home boiler comes on which has a wireless thermostat, the work fi drops out. I have split SSID and fixed channels, makes no difference. Can anyone help please.
0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: Wi Fi Interference

Welcome to this user forum. @martinb2 

Does the wireless thermostat connect to your home hub, or is it a stand alone system?

Most stand alone systems use a 433Mhz radio transmitter, so would not affect wifi.

0 Ratings
martinb2
Message 3 of 16

It is stand alone, this never happened when I had a hub 3 only since upgrading to smart hub 6
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 16

@martinb2 wrote:
It is stand alone, this never happened when I had a hub 3 only since upgrading to smart hub 6

Its more likely to be interference from the boiler itself, which is causing the broadband connection to disconnect. Did you upgrade from normal broadband to high speed broadband, as you moved from the HH3 to the HH6?

Do you notice any change in the colour of the lights on the home hub, when the wireless connection drops?

Is it just a momentary drop of connection as the boiler switches on or off, or does it stay disconnected all the time the boiler is alight?

martinb2
Message 5 of 16

Hi, no just changed the hub, broadband was the same, the colours on the hub drop down to orange and then back to normal presumably when it finds another channel. It will do this about every 20 minutes when the boiler is on.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 16

If the hub is dropping to orange you are losing line connection not wifi. I suspect the boiler thermostat is causing interference with the broadband signal.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 16

@martinb2 wrote:
Hi, no just changed the hub, broadband was the same, the colours on the hub drop down to orange and then back to normal presumably when it finds another channel. It will do this about every 20 minutes when the boiler is on.

Then its not a wifi issue, its your boiler itself which is generating radio interference which is causing the whole broadband to drop connection. This should show up in the home hub event log.

I would have a guess that the boiler is probably quite old, and I think you may find its the boiler thermostat contacts that are worn out and arcing.

If you have access to a portable medium wave radio which you can put near the boiler, yo may hear a loud buzzing sound which could last up to 10 seconds, as the boiler thermostat switches the gas supply off.

As you had a home hub 3, are you on just a normal broadband connection, or a high speed "fibre" connection?

If you are on a fibre connection, you must have been using a white Openreach modem with the home hub 3?

Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 8 of 16

It’s probably the pilot jet ingnition, if it’s an old boiler. Newer condensing boilers have a different ignition system.

It’s worth checking the wireless transmitter, and more importantly the receiver batteries.....they can be troublesome.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 16

The problem on older non-condensing boilers, especially Thorn or Potterton, is that the boiler thermostat switches a gas valve which is a very inductive load.

When the boiler temperature is reached, instead of the boiler thermostat operating quickly, it opens slowly, causing an electric arc at the contacts, which in turn generates a lot of wideband interference. The solution is to replace the thermostat, and fit a suppression capacitor across the gas valve.

That is one major cause of interference, which may possibly be the issue.

The home hub 6 is very susceptible to interference.

martinb2
Message 10 of 16

Hi Thanks, yes fibre broadband and yes did use a modem
0 Ratings