cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Wi Fi interruptions

My neighbour has Virgin wi fi. Every time she turns her TV on or off it resets my Hub. Anyone else have the same problem or even an answer?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Wi Fi interruptions

Welcome to this user forum.

Is your home hub or phone wiring, on the opposite side of the wall to her TV?

If it is, then has the TV is turned on and off, it may be causing the home hub to disconnect.

Do the lights on the home hub change colour when you lose your connection?

Is it just that your wifi disconnects but things connected to the home hub using an Ethernet cable, are not affected?

Beginner
Message 3 of 7

She lives in the flat below me. Her lounge is below the Hub. The Hubs light go to orange whenever I check rather than just wait for it to reset. I just had a long conversation on line with BT help and the person in question wanted to send out an engineer. I stated it is interference3 from my neighbours remote but she seemed fixated on a line problem not an interference problem.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

@AlanDavis wrote:
She lives in the flat below me. Her lounge is below the Hub. The Hubs light go to orange whenever I check rather than just wait for it to reset.

Then its probably just electrical interference causing the home hub to drop its connection. You could try moving the home hub to a different part of the room, to see if it helps.

Also make sure the home hub is plugged into your master socket, and any extension wiring is disconnected, as that could be picking up the interference.

Plasma TV sets normally cause the most interference owing to their much higher power consumption.

Its unlikely to be her Virgin hub, as that would normally be on all of the time.

Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Thanks Keith. Moving it around the room doesn't help! Moving it out of the room would be difficult as I'd have wires trailing across the floor and maybe a greater chance of interference with such an extension (I have none at the moment but would need to do so to do that). No idea what sort of TV she has but will check when I next see her. That or change to Virgin when my contract is up as their connection is in my bedroom (BT's is in the lounge). Agreed that it's unlikely that it's her Hub as the only problems is when she first gets in or retires or turns her TV off. So I agree it's her TV or the remote causing this problem. It's definitely not a line problem.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Out of curiosity have you asked if her hub drops connection when she switches to on/off. Maybe electrical fault causing interference.  What about other neighbours?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

No. Will get back to you on those.
0 Ratings