cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Wi-fi Calling BT Set up help - Not mobile phone set up.

Hi I see others have asked similar problems, but my issue appers to be different, I can only assume is related to my router settings.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 8 on Vodafone and have wi-fi calling enabled. (I have been through thr phone settings to enable).

When I visit other people's houses, the wi-fi calling symbol appears on my notification bar to say it is available. However when at home this never appears.

It would appear therefore that the problem lies with my broadband/router, rather than my phone. I have logged into my Smart Hub 2 Manager and see that there is an icon with a telephone symbol, but it is greyed out and says 'not configured'.  How do I enable this please and I wonder if this is the problem?

Thanks

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Wi-fi Calling BT Set up help - Not mobile phone set up.

That icon has nothing to do with WiFi calling. There are no configuration settings you can make on the hub regarding WiFi calling.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Thanks for the quick reply, but I'm afraid you might be mistaken.

I am not referring to the normal wi-fi symbol, obviously all that does is show that I am connected to a wi-fi network.

I am referring to a similar wi-fi symbol, which appears in addition to the usual symbol, but with a small telephone symbol positioned above it which indicates  that wi-fi calling is available. 

This symbol appears when I visit my Mums house, she is also on BT Broadband. I've also been away for the past few days at a holiday accommodation and the symbol appeared there too. But not at home. 

The question is how come it is available on her broadband but not mines.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

I am not mistaken.

I have no idea why it doesn't work with your hub but does with your mum's, but I can assure you there are no settings in the hub to enable WiFi calling.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Thanks, so why is they grey telephone icon on my hub settings greyed out? 

I don't wish to be rude, but are you a BT technical expert or a keen enthusiast?

I'm looking for a definitive BT employee technical answer or advice from someone who may have experienced the same problem.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

See if web protect is enabled in your MyBT

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

the phone symbol in hub will change to blue when you have digital voice and using hub as dect base - as mine does   nothing to do with wifi calling as posted by @licquorice 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

@Fstbloke72 wrote:

Thanks, so why is they grey telephone icon on my hub settings greyed out? 

Because you don't have digital voice

I don't wish to be rude, but are you a BT technical expert or a keen enthusiast?

A customer the same as you, in case you hadn't noticed this is a customer to customer self help forum

I'm looking for a definitive BT employee technical answer or advice from someone who may have experienced the same problem.

Then keep looking. However, the answer will be the same that I gave!

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 12

Hi

Just a thought. Do you have any mobile signal  at home? Even a little bit? Reading through BT’s WiFi Calling setup it says that WiFi calling only operates if there’s no mobile signal.  If you’ve got one if those little mobile signal boxes - like me - connected to your broadband that give you a strong 3G signal, I doubt  the WiFi calling will kick in. It doesn’t on mine. I’ve got an iPhone 11 which should be compatible.  I’ll try turning the signal box off sometime tomorrow and see if I get WiFi calling and let you know.  I’m curious too now.... ! 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Thanks, I think I've come to that conclusion too, it'd be interesting to hear how you get on. 

I read somewhere too that wifi calling is only activitated of the mobile signal is poor. I have a very strong Vodafone 4G signal, so that could be why - it seems logical. 

0 Ratings