Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
jjmwat4
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Wi-fi dropping and range radically reduced - Hub4

Hope one of you good people can help me with any suggested solutions to a problem I have had since Monday.

I am on Bt Infinity 2 on copper fibre from exchange box about 400m away but for last couple of months, speed has been between 29 - 34 mbps. On Monday, ran the speed connection tool. Picked up a couple of issues with line which were fixed. Asked to make additional checks but as our socket was not listed (mk2), had to ring in for assistance.

Got pushed round a few numbers until someone overseas did some diagnostics and moved me to 5ghz. Was told speed would improve (it did and now 45 mbps) but range may reduce for Wi-fi. Not only has it reduced but it is awful now. Literally will only work within 5 steps of hub.

Spoke several times to BT but they say they cannot help further. They only guarantee speed to home. Said I must have a new device interfering or some other changes in house. No new devices in house for 6 months and was working perfectly throughout house until doing the test on Monday. BT not having it though. It has actually worked perfectly for 4 years.

can anyone suggest to me anything I can try on hub. I notice the IP address moves from when I am on top of hub to kitchen 8 steps away or go upstairs. Full signal but no internet available. Have reset hub to factory settings, renewed lease on all devices, still no change. Can you make ip addresses static?

Just too much of a coincidence that something must have changed when BT were checking my line but they are adamant nothing done and cannot help. Really unimpressed.

Any help appreciated. Thanks

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Wi-fi dropping and range radically reduced - Hub4

Try separating and renaming the SSIDs.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44798/related/1

Are Ethernet connected devices running at full speed?

If they are not. Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forumhelp (Private website) Lots of additional information and help.
You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.

0 Ratings
jjmwat4
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Hi Keith.

Many thanks for responding.

i have tried the split and the quiet test. No difference and no noise heard.

What do you mean exactly when you ask if Ethernet running at full speed?

Really makes no sense to me to claim no issue with them when I can honestly say no problems in four years until after tests and settings check remotely.

0 Ratings
Gary_C
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 8

You need to go back into the Hub and change the name of the 2.4ghz and 5ghz wifi SSID (the names you seen when you connect with a mobile device) try this link

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44798/~/i-have-problems-connecting-5ghz-and-dual-band...

Then you can choose between  either 2.4 (slower but wider range) and 5ghz (faster but smaller range) see which works best.

As to ethernet, I think he was asking if you have any devices plugged directly into the hub and if they are working at full speed

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

if you are on FTTC and using HH4 then you must also have a separate modem conencted to the openreach wall socket.  from your post the internet conenction to your modem is ok and more than likely ok to hh4 so problems as others have said is your wireless conenction

splitting the wireless networks and just rename the 5ghz network by say adding a 5 to SSID to distinguish from 2.4ghz  you can then log into either or both networks delpending on device capabilities.  I would also select channel manually rather than leave on auto

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
jjmwat4
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

Many thanks injolly and Gary. Unfortunately this has made no difference.

i am wondering now however if I need to make a change under 2.4ghz setting. Let me explain that when BT ‘helped me’ on Mon and changed the router settings, this is what I think they told me to do but only thing is I did not rename SSID so it overwrote I assume what were the original settings. The Wi-fi has been terrible ever since.

so currently I have the 2 SSID s, one with 5ghz and not synching with 2.4 ghz. Both are same poor Wi-fi range now.

wondering now do I need to do anything on the 2.4 ghz setting? 

This is set to 802.11 b/g/n up to 144mbs. Automatic channel selection. WPA2 only. Wireless network enable set to yes.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

try selecting the channel manually - turn off auto select - for both 2.4/5ghz networks

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
jjmwat4
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

Moved 2.4 SSID from auto channel 6 to 3 and 5ghz SSID from auto 48 to 40. Still no difference sadly.

0 Ratings