Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JennyD76
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

Wi-fi dropping

Go to solution

For the last two weeks my iPad has been dropping Wi-fi sporadically, this is only solved by turning Wi-fi off and then back on. My non apple phone and laptop are fine. I contacted apple three times now, in the last conversation they informed me that the problem is likely with my router and something about bandwidths? I am not very tech savvy so can I ask if anyone else has this issue or does this sound like a possible source of the issue? iPad and router have been working well together until now.

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
B13blues
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 15

Re: Wi-fi dropping

Go to solution

You could try turning 5ghz off in your router settings.

0 Ratings
B13blues
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

While in router settings you could also try turning off smart setup as well.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
JennyD76
Beginner
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

Thank you I’ll google how to do that.

0 Ratings
B13blues
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

Sorry type into address bar  192.168.1.254  and hit enter. That'll put you into router settings. You'll need your password to change settings.

0 Ratings
JennyD76
Beginner
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution
Many thanks 🙏
0 Ratings
B13blues
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

No problem fingers crossed it fixes your dropping wifi

0 Ratings
JennyD76
Beginner
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

So I gave it a few months and splitting didn’t help it’s still dropping. I’m certain it’s the modem but customer services won’t send a replacement. I just keep getting told to split the signal despite me saying I’ve done it.

now wildly irritated I’m just going to have to buy myself a modem but being clueless I’m not sure what kind. Amazon has a bewildering array all of which I don’t understand. Anyone got any suggestions?

as soon as my contract ends I’m cancelling so something that will work with Sky too

0 Ratings
B13blues
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

If using HH6 you could go into settings and try changing wireless mode to 2 and then 3 if it is no better. Home - advanced settings - wireless - click on mode 1 and it will give you options to change. You need to click save. Good luck.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

@JennyD76 wrote:

now wildly irritated I’m just going to have to buy myself a modem but being clueless I’m not sure what kind. Amazon has a bewildering array all of which I don’t understand. Anyone got any suggestions?

@JennyD76

This modem/router works just fine

The TP-Link TD-W9970 N300 for about £40 or less. Very good value for money, and readily available locally (Argos and others), or Amazon. You can also use it with most ISPs.

Its in use by quite a few forum members.

If you need any help, please ask.

Please read this post https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/HELP-HH6-blue-light-but-no-internet/m-p/1887178...