cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Wi-fi in a care home

Go to solution

Hi,

My dad is in a care home.  I need to get him a reliable Wi-fi, as the guest Wi-fi is a bit hit and miss.

the previous occupant of the room he is in had an OpenReach socket put in, so there is a suitable port that I could start using.

How would I go about getting my dad set up with his own Wi-fi in his room, please?  He might also want to watch some too, although the OpenReach port is behind his head and he  can’t change the room around to put a TV there (small room and limited options).

Has anyone done this before?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Wi-fi in a care home

Go to solution
I take it the 'openreach port' is a normal phone line socket, did the previous occupant have their own phone line ? in which case, a broadband contract would be needed to provide a hub in the room and then wifi would be his.

I can't think what else the 'openreach port' would be ?

You could post a picture.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

I think it is a phone line.  That’s what it looks like.   

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

Just order a broadband service from your chosen supplier.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution
Ok, so it needs a broadband contract with a provider such as BT, who will then provide a hub.

Unless its an extension socket from the main phone ? In which case it wouldn't provide anything you want.

Need to talk to the home or BT/OR and find out what the socket actually is.
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

If you can get broadband and decide to use BT then maybe look at the BT ESSENTIAL  package which is designed for people on benefits

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

In some respects, it is irrelevant if there is a socket there or not and what it actually is. If the care home allow residents to have phone/broadband service directly to their rooms, any service provider can provide service. If a line and socket already exist it will make things easier and possibly cheaper but it isn't a necessity.

Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

CBAD1500-A99B-4B10-BA01-587257B85F13.jpeg

This is the socket in Dad’s room. 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

Yes, that's an Openreach main phone socket which can be used for broadband. It should make ordering broadband easier as the routing will already exist.

Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Thank you.  I’ll get it sorted now, for him. 😁

0 Ratings