cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andymerrett2
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Wi-fi nearly half speed on working Infinity 2 connection

Just upgraded to Infinity 2 and have a sync speed of near on 80 (down)/20 (up) Mbps. However when I connect wirelessly I am only getting around 40 Mbps even if I'm standing right by the Smart Hub.

Today I wired up Ethernet to our attic and set up an older BT Home Hub 4 as an extender - with Ethernet wiring our two main computers and Wi-Fi on for mobile devices/printer.

The wired connections are now showing around 77 Mbps speed down and 19 Mbps up (which I'm very happy with). However, wireless speed is similar on the HH4 router as well (which is directly connected to the Smart Hub). They both use different channels. This shows that the incoming connection itself is good.

Is there any particular reason this can be? I can't think of anything which might be degrading the wireless signal in the house. The main hub is located by a window (don't have a lot of choice as this is where the previous residents had the master socket built) which I know BT says affects the range but it shouldn't affect the speed as well?

The Infinity upload speed on wireless is almost as good as wired.

When we were on standard broadband we didn't notice much drop off either over wireless.

So it seems to be an issue once speeds exceed 20 Mbps?

We don't have any 802.11b or g-only devices on our network (as far as I know) so I don't see why we are getting a slower speed.

It's not a major issue now our computers are hard wired and with 40Meg being more than ample for any handheld devices / TVs etc. I'm just curious why this might be.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Wi-fi nearly half speed on working Infinity 2 connection

the 5Ghz channels are always faster if you have any 5Ghz enabled devices
0 Ratings
Highlighted
andymerrett2
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

That's true, however even conservative 802.11n speed on 2.4GHz should be over 100Mbps which even allowing for overhead I'd've thought would be adequate for Infnity. At least when in the same room as the router. I am happy to accept degradation and slower speeds in the attic, which is why we ran the Ethernet up here.

And I don't see much difference between the two bands anyway. My newer wireless devices can all connect on 5GHz.

0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 4 of 7

Hi,

Many things can have a deleterious effect on your wireless connection, from insulation panels on walls, thickness of walls if brick or similar, domestic appliances can produce interference.  Lastly the hub 6 has been getting a lot of unfavourable reports, wireless not a good as advertised or even not functioning.  I would suspect the hubs, I never found them to be very good.

People who have replaced them with third party routers don't usually have the same problems.  So something to think about if you can rule out electrical interference and very dense walls.

The extra speed of Infinity 2 should have no bearing on wireless throughput, my wireless has speeds in excess of the 75Mbit internet connection.  You probably didn't notice the low wireless speed on the slower connection.

0 Ratings
andymerrett2
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Hi,

This is what I thought. Perhaps the wireless is maxing out at ~45 Mbps (which is the highest 'test' download speed I've yet seen) and hence why the upload remains strong as did previous <20Mbps ADSL broadband connections).

Given that I can stand about 2 ft in front of the hub and get the same results (where interference should be negligible) I guess it must be the hubs. Such a shame as these are touted as suitable for Infinity and for customers who will generally rely on Wi-Fi.

0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 6 of 7

Indeed.  As long as the ethernet is good and lasts, some reports of port problems in the forum, you don't need to rush out and get a replacement.  Just something worth considering for the future though.

0 Ratings
andymerrett2
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Ahh well that'll be fun.

Can't remember what setup we had the last time I was in an Infinity area but then that was 5+ years ago (when the hub and the modem were still separate) and speeds would've been <40Mbps anyway.

Ahh well, the Ethernet cable itself is sound so will just swap the ends with new equipment if it ever fails!

0 Ratings