Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RichardGwyn59
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

WiFi Calling options

Go to solution

I have an old BT Assist box which has provided me with a trouble-free phone signal in the house for a few years.  But it has recently stopped working and would like to know what my options are to get a signal in the house again. 

I have a Samsung S6 Edge with up-to-date android software which I see is one of the 3rd party phones that may work on BT Wifi Calling.  But I cannot find the option to select wifi calling on my phone, as per the instructions on the BT site.  I therefore assume that my phone is not compatible. 

Other than buying a new phone through BT, does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can receive a mobile phone signal in the house?  

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
barnpiece
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: WiFi Calling options

Go to solution

There has been a problem with a software update on Signal Assist., which is being fixed.

See: https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Mobile/Signal-Assist-not-connecting/m-p/2072379#M18273

WiFi calling tends to need specific phones with partcular version of software installed. 

Phones provided by BT are the best source of a compatible device.

Richard

imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

if you have the older samsung S6 do you have the latest android 10 software?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
RichardGwyn59
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks imjolly.  I checked that my software was up to date.  But I'll also check that it's Android 10.

From the previous comment, it appears that there is a problem with a software update with BT Assist boxes, so I'll hang on for a while to see if it sorts itself out.

0 Ratings
Carlusha
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

@RichardGwyn59  I noted you mentioned, " But I cannot find the option to select wifi calling on my phone"

For Samsung Galaxy S6, S6 Plus, S6 edge, S6 edge Plus

• connect your phone to WiFi.
  • from the home screen, tap Phone.
  • tap More in the top right corner.
  • tap Settings.
  • scroll down to the Wi-Fi calling switch and toggle it On.
0 Ratings
RichardGwyn59
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks Carlusha.  These are same instructions as on the BT website.  I must have an earlier version of the phone and/or software, because there is no wifi calling switch option in the phone settings.  I've checked and I'm on android v. 7.0 and I see in this thread that it should be 10.  But I also see in this thread that there is a national outage of the BT Assist boxes and that some users are back on again.  So I'll wait a couple of days then if it's still not back I'll try updating the software on my phone.

0 Ratings
RichardGwyn59
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Signal returned last night and now working correctly.  Thanks for your post.

0 Ratings