cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 2

WiFi Disc - does it send 2.4ghz or 5ghz?

Hi All - forgive my ignorance with this stuff. My setup is:

• Smart Hub 2 on Fibre 500 - it's forced to only send 5ghz WiFi. Got it fitted in an upstairs bedroom.
  • Connected via Ethernet to a TP Link extender to push a separate SSID on 2.4 for the few devices I have limited to that band. 

This was fine for a couple years except the Smart Hub is on one side of my house, but I was well out of range on the other side. Better late than never I got a BT WiFi Disc. Immediate improvement.

Now I can see in the My BT app the Disc is hooked up to the Hub on 5ghz - great. And I also see that my phone connects to the Disc on 5ghz - I get about 200mbs down in areas where previously I had zero WiFI. 

But my question is - does the Disc only put out 5Ghz? Or does it also send 2.4ghz? I know from past experience being trapped on 2.4 as devices will prefer strength vs speed. I'm envisioning a moment where my devices connect to 2.4 on the Disc and never leave...

Other question is - can I force the Disc to only put out 5ghz, like my Smart Hub 2 does?

0 Ratings
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

Re: WiFi Disc - does it send 2.4ghz or 5ghz?

It does both apparently with a better 2.4GHz system than the hub.  Mine gives a stronger wifi signal as expected but reduces link speed on 5GHz so I put it back in its box.

steephill_1-1681823428471.png

0 Ratings