cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Moggieplus4
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

WiFi Range

I’m Treasurer of a Church of England Church.
I have purchased an iZettle terminal  which, together with the iPhone / iPad app should allow us to collect funds  via contactless means.
We really need a reliable WiFi signal to cover both the stone-built listed Church and the nearby brick-built Church Room. The distance between the two buildings is about 50 metres.
I tested the terminal in the Church using my iPhone as a hotspot over the O2 network but that was only a demonstration.

There is already a telecom line in the Church Room  but this is not connected presently.
There are ambitions to also enable internet access to a TV in the Church Room in due course for training purposes.

If we had a router fitted, there is no reason not to make access available to anyone, maybe a computer class for oldies.

I am aware that BT offer boosters for domestic WiFi but I don’t know how effective they are.  We need a suitable system giving us a router to cover both the Church and the Church Room. As with all listed buildings, there is a requirement to ensure any alterations have the necessary permissions although there shouldn’t be any in this case.

I hope you can assist in this case so we can make a sound decision that will be cost effective over a fairly short period.

Cheers

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: WiFi Range

@Moggieplus4 

As a church is classed as a business, you need to post on the BT Business forum, as this is the retail forum.

https://business.forums.bt.com/

I assume that BT is your broadband provider?

If not, then you need to post on your ISPs own user forum.

EDIT:- I see you have no provider at present, but whichever business provider you use, the wireless range is going to be about the same.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

Unfortunately there is no way to determine wifi range without actually trying it as there are too many variables. However, I doubt you would receive a reliable wifi signal over 50 metres.

Before committing to anything, you could always just plug a router into the church room and investigate the extent of the wifi signal, you won't need an internet connection to do that.

Moggieplus4
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

Thanks for your prompt response
0 Ratings
Moggieplus4
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

I use BT Broadband in a personal capacity
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

If you download a wifi analyser app for your phone you could plug your hub in the church room and look at the signal strength whilst moving around the church.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

If the installation is going to be in a church building, then that would be classed as a business.

If its in a private domestic residence, and you are extending the wifi to the church, then that would be different. Be aware you would be liable for any content that is accessed, so you would need to have some form of content control.

0 Ratings