Did you mean: 
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 31 of 59

Re: Android apps no longer work through WIFI on the bt smart hub/ home hub 6

@mikeyaj wrote:

wifi still works using my browser on android, but not any apps

any soultion?

If you're browser works then it's not strictly an IPv6 problem. The way a client should work when both IPv4 and IPv6 are available is that it will attempt to use IPv6, then fall back to IPv4 within a few milli-seconds if there's no response on IPv6.

A browser is simply an app and from what you're saying seems to be behaving correctly. What other apps are you having problems with? Can you disable IPv6 on the Android client as a test? This will allow you to prove it's an IPv6 problem if the apps that are not working when IPv6 is enabled start to work again when IPv6 is disabled.

EDIT:

It's not great that you can't control IPv6 on the Hub 6, but this wouldn't appear to be a BT IPv6 problem.

From Solved!!!! Disable IPv6 on your router!

"Just fixed slow wifi on S7 by disabling IPv6 on my sisters router....worked instantly....Apparently Samsung doesn't efficiently support that IP Protocol yet."

From Issues connecting to Googley things? Disable IPv6 on your router

"I just got a S7 and I noticed at home, the thing would not connect to various Google things. App store was unusable, music wouldn't download art and songs, news would stay blank. Over LTE and my work connection everything was fine.
Trying various things and searching Google for clues I narrowed it down to having IPv6 enabled on my router (DD-WRT flashed DIR-825) but not having IPv6 on my WAN connection. Once I disabled IPv6 in the router settings, everything ran smoothly."

From Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Common Problems and Fixes

"Slow WiFi Issue

Some of the Galaxy S7 Edge users have reported that their phone is causing slow WiFi issue or plain WiFi issue. It makes the connection to drop or becomes unbelievably slow at times.

Some of the workaround for this issue is disabling Bluetooth of the phone and setting WiFi Connection to IPv4 instead of IPv6. This could be software glitch which can only be resolved with an update."

Regards

0 Ratings
mikeyaj
Aspiring Contributor
Message 32 of 59

all these problems have been solved with later patches to samsung software.

out of the blue the bt hub just stopped.

its ALL apps that don't work except the browser (samsung browser)

whatsapp works though oddly.

so google apps, facebook, instagram, tumblr. everything else i use.

it was all working find on saturday and no updates have happened since then on my phone

phone apps work perfectly on bt hubs at friends and family
0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 33 of 59

Check the Hub log and see if the WAN on the Hub reconnected around the time the apps stopped working. There are reports over the last few months of intermittent IPv6 connectivity i.e., it'll work, the WAN reconnects and it stops working, reconnects again and starts working etc.

It may have been that up until Sunday, whilst IPv6 was enabled on the Hub, it didn't actually have an IPv6 address and so your clients would only run IPv4.

Regards

0 Ratings
mikeyaj
Aspiring Contributor
Message 34 of 59

@smf22

what am i specifically looking for in the hub log?

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 35 of 59

I no longer use a Hub 6 and memory fails me.... actually my therapist helped me forget everything about it, but go to Advanced Settings -> Technical Log and there should be a button to filter on WAN or perhaps PPP. Check if there were any disconnects on Saturday or Sunday.

Otherwise try Home -> Status and check the Network uptime and System uptime.

Regards

0 Ratings
mikeyaj
Aspiring Contributor
Message 36 of 59

there is no data what so ever for sat or sun

Network uptime:

0 Days, 13 Hours 3 Minutes

System uptime:

0 Days, 18 Hours 16 Minutes

i did factory reset the hub yesterday to see if that would help

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 37 of 59

It's likely the factory reset would have cleared the logs so there'll be nothing to see now.

If you're convinced it's an IPv6 issue, then my thoughts are it's still an issue with the phone. I've had IPv6 enabled for many months and seen no issues with Windows 7/10 PC and phones, Apple iPhones and iPads, Android tablets, Linux, Chromecast, IPTV, etc., all using IPv6.

Not sure what else to say other than agreeing with what @licquorice said back in message 23. If you want control over how a router is configured and operates, use a third party router that you control, rather than one that the ISP controls.

Regards

0 Ratings
mikeyaj
Aspiring Contributor
Message 38 of 59

i've tested my phone with 30 different wifi setups. some of them BT

they all worked perfectly apart from my one at home which just stopped this weekend.

my phone was sent to samsung and they can confirm it has the latest software and has 0 issues

the issue is the bt hub

bt are sending me a replacement

if thaty doesn't work i'm going to buy a better hub (recomenddations accepted)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 39 of 59

Do you have BT network based Parental controls active on your account, as some apps need to contact Google`a apps platform via APIs. I wonder if Parental controls are blocking this access?

For any paid apps, a check is made against your Google account as well, to check the licence.

Login to MyBT, then manage you extras, to see if Parental controls or BT Protect are active. They may have been activated by accident, if at any time, smart setup was active on the home hub.

This is a bit of a guess, but it would explain why its only your connection which is affected.

0 Ratings
MorgaineD
Expert
Message 40 of 59

@smf22 writes:

> "I no longer use a Hub 6 and memory fails me.... actually my therapist helped me forget everything about it"

Unfortunately for your therapist, now he or she will have to go and visit another therapist ... 😄

0 Ratings