cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wendykimber
Message 1 of 12

WiFi at the bottom of my garden

Hi - I am moving into an Annexe built at the bottom of my garden (30m away from the house). How can I receive the broadband signal down there?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: WiFi at the bottom of my garden

Are the mains sockets fed from the same consumer unit as the house? If so, you could use powerline adaptors such as these or if not, you will need to run a buried Ethernet cable from the Hub to the annexe and connect to a Wireless Access Point (WAP)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 12

Welcome to this user forum.

It would be best to run an Ethernet cable. (preferred method)

Powerline adapters may work.

What are powerline devices and how do they work?

A more expensive option would be this.

Extending wireless to another building

This would give you better coverage in the garden as well, provided you position the aerial outside.

0 Ratings
Wendykimber
Message 4 of 12

Thank you - I am a 74 yr old rookie so am quite ignorant about all this.  If I put an Ethernet cable down there, I assume it comes from the back of my home hub - where would it connect to in the Annexe?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

If you run the Ethernet cable from the back of the Homehub to the annexe you would then either plug it into your device/computer if it has an Ethernet port or you buy a wireless access point. 

If you buy a wireless access point you plug the Ethernet cable into that and that will give you a wireless signal that you can connect to by wireless with your devices.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

You would need to buy a Wireless Access Point and connect the Erthernet cable to that. This will then give you wifi coverage (and Ethernet sockets if required) in the Annexe.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

I have a similar set up and I use a TP-Link 150 wifi Travel Router. It comes configured as a wireless access point and is a simple plug and play device. It cost about £20 on Amazon.

0 Ratings
Wendykimber
Message 8 of 12

Thanks to you both.  I understand that.  I need to check if I can get the Ethernet cable underground with the telephone line.  I may be too late for that to happen so might have to do a separate burial. 

0 Ratings
Wendykimber
Message 9 of 12

Does that require an Ethernet cable?
Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

Yes. You run the Ethernet from Homehub to the annex, plug the Ethernet into the TP-Link then plug it into an electrical socket. It sends out a wireless signal. You enter the TP-Links wireless passkey into your wireless devices and it will connect. 

0 Ratings