cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WARKSTER
Contributor
Message 1 of 14

WiFi booster

Just had BT Full Fibre 100 installed and new to BT, I like in a town house and the top floor shows signal is week.  

Will BT send it a booster to help that top floor free of charge, I’m still within my 14 days cancellation.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: WiFi booster

@WARKSTER 

BT offer the complete wifi solution

https://www.bt.com/help/bt-halo/what-is-complete-wi-fi-

I assume you already have the Smart Hub 2?

Quote "It's our guarantee to deliver a strong wi-fi signal in every room of your home.

We'll send you a new Smart Hub 2 and single Wi-Fi disc to get you started. This covers the majority of homes, but if you still need more we'll send up to two extra discs free of charge. And if for any reason you can't get a signal everywhere, you can get £100 back"

or you could use a wifi hotspot like this.

https://shop.bt.com/products/bt-mini-wi-fi-home-hotspot-600-kit-084288-BVFF.html

Wireless coverage will always be an issue in a town house.

Cancelling would leave you with no connection, and no ISP will guarantee wifi coverage.

0 Ratings
WARKSTER
Contributor
Message 3 of 14

Re: WiFi booster

I think I have worked it out, even on the top floor my iPhone is connecting to the 2.4ghz network giving me slower speeds.

When I turn off the 2.4 ghz channel it then connects to the 5ghz asked I get the super fast speeds.

What’s the work around to make sure the iPhone always connects to the 5ghz channel?

unlike my sky hub I can’t split them and connect only to the 5ghz channel. 

any ideas folks?

0 Ratings
WARKSTER
Contributor
Message 4 of 14

2.4/5ghz

In my house I am connecting in the 5ghz until I go to the top floor (townhouse three floors) SH2 on ground floor.

in the bedroom in the top floor it switches to the 2.4ghz and I notice in a speed check drops from 140mbps to 50mbps as it’s connecting on 2.4 not 5. 

I switched off 2.4 when in the top floor bedroom on the SH2 router page and it connected to the 5ghz no issues at all with speeds of 130mpbs. 

what do I need to do to allow the phone to connect to the 5ghz all the time as I can’t leave the 2.4ghz switched off as my printer and other devices only connect on the 2.4ghz. 

Thoughts  advice??

0 Ratings
mgylsk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 14

Re: 2.4/5ghz

Hi @WARKSTER  the main drawback of smart hub 2 is you can't separate channels. So if you want to use both channels you either need to downgrade your hub 2 to smart hub 1 or use a wifi booster. 

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

@WARKSTER 

What applications on your phone cannot cope with a 50Mbs connection?

I am surprised that your phone could ever process that speed. Even many laptops would struggle, as it would need a fairly fast CPU.

0 Ratings
WARKSTER
Contributor
Message 7 of 14

Even a WiFi booster wouldn’t solve the issue as the iPhone always locks the strongest signal and I suppose that’s always gonna be the 2.4 ghz ?

I assume there is no way to always allow the iPhone to connect to the 5ghz as default?

even going out the house and back in it connects **bleep** he 2.4 by default as I assume is the strongest signal by default!

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 8 of 14

Deleted, Please ignore

0 Ratings
WARKSTER
Contributor
Message 9 of 14

Wi-Fi Home Hotspot 600 Plus Kit

they are going to send out the old smart hub and this Wi-Fi Home Hotspot 600 Plus Kit. 

they say it’s a known problem with devices defaulting to the 2.4ghz .

wondering if I can use the the hotspot plus kit with the SH2 and see if that resolved the issue? 

Otherwise they say use the older hub where you can split the 2.4 & 5 and then connect only to the 5 

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 14

Re: Wi-Fi Home Hotspot 600 Plus Kit

@WARKSTER wrote:

they are going to send out the old smart hub and this Wi-Fi Home Hotspot 600 Plus Kit. 

they say it’s a known problem with devices defaulting to the 2.4ghz .

wondering if I can use the the hotspot plus kit with the SH2 and see if that resolved the issue? 

Otherwise they say use the older hub where you can split the 2.4 & 5 and then connect only to the 5 

The hotspot 600 kit will work with any BT router and it transmits on 2.4GHz. It also has a couple of Ethernet ports which you can connect a laptop or desktop PC to.

PS. Its best if you  only post on the same thread, as it saves a lot of confusion, so I have merged your posts into one thread.

0 Ratings