cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WARKSTER
Contributor
Message 11 of 14

Re: Wi-Fi Home Hotspot 600 Plus Kit

So that won’t boost the 5ghz signal that’s my issue my phone keep switching to 2.4ghz 

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 12 of 14

Where there's a will, there's a way - as cumbersome as it may be.

If you're willing to spend around £30 then there is a way you can continue to use the SH2 and select the 5GHz network.

1. Firstly, purchase (for around £30) a wi-fi extender that is capable of working in access point mode (e.g. the Netgear EX6000).
  2. Using the user manual for guidance, setup the EX6000 to work in Access Point Mode 
  3. Turn off the SH2 Wi-Fi, plug the EX6000 into the mains and connect it to the SH2 by ethernet.
  4. The EX6000 will now provide you with both a 2.4 and 5 GHZ network with different SSIDs' which you will need to connect to individually. 

The only drawbacks are the outlay and the fact that the two networks will be completely independant, so when you move out of range of the 5GHz carrier you will have to select the 2.4Ghz network manually 

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 14

@WARKSTER wrote:

So that won’t boost the 5ghz signal that’s my issue my phone keep switching to 2.4ghz 

No, its only a 2.4GHz device, but it will give you a strong 2.4GHz signal upstairs, and has a separate wireless SSID, so you can exclude it from your connection list.

If you use the older home hub that they send, that can have a separate SSID  for 5GHz, so you can make your phone connect to that.

What you will end up is two separate 2.4GHz wireless networks, and a single 5GHz network, so you can choose whichever one you want.

You may find that the stronger 2.4GHz signal from the hotspot, connects at faster speed. It also normally operates on a different wireless channel than the home hub so may have less interference.

0 Ratings
WARKSTER
Contributor
Message 14 of 14

So I could connect the  booster then turn of the SH2 2.4 and the 2.4 from the booster would connect to the 2.4ghz devices on the booster within a separate ssid?

hope that makes sense??

0 Ratings