cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

WiFi degraded since solar panels installed

Since we installed solar panels above our study (which is where the broadband connection enters our house) our WiFi has been degraded.  Video calls constantly fail.  Chromecast cuts out.

I've spent the last hour trying to find out how to get an engineer to move the broadband socket to our entrance hall without success.

I'd be grateful for helpful suggestions.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: WiFi degraded since solar panels installed

Do you have FTTP OR FTTC. T he latter uses the existing phone socket and if that is the case you ould check your local paper and get a telecom person to do the move instead of openreach - probably cheaper aswell 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Hard to see how solar panels can impact the wifi performance of your router. They don't emit electromagnetic radiation as far as I know. They can physically block/impede TV reception from outside the home but obviously your router is inside the house.

The wiring connection from the panels down to the inverter is DC and shouldn't be generating any EMR to speak of.

Since the power to the house was probably switched off in the installation, it may be the router needs to be powered down and restarted and/or reset.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
Message 4 of 4

Is it broadband you are having problems with or WiFi?

You say it's WiFi but if you have a problem with the incoming broadband this will affect your WiFi.

Is there any noise present on your telephone line? 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings