cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

WiFi speeds far slower on my PC than other devices

I got 300Mbps FTTP last week and the speeds have been great on all my devices except for my Windows 10 PC. On my phone and PS5, I will get speeds of around 220-280Mbps in speed tests but on my PC it will lag far behind and get around 60-70, sometimes going up to 110 if it's feeling generous. The network card built into my PC  is a Realtek 8812AE but I also purchased a TP-Link Archer T3U AC600 USB adapter, which has had little effect. I have also checked for any driver updates for both these cards.

Does anyoe know why this might be the case? The PC and PS5 are sitting right next to each other so I struggle to see how the position of the PC could be causing this. Right now I've resorted to tethering via USB from my phone to my PC with the phone connected to the WiFi in order to actually get the fast speeds, but I'd much rather just find a proper solution.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: WiFi speeds far slower on my PC than other devices

There are so many variables that can affect WiFi speeds on devices. Chances are there will be a bottleneck somewhere in your PC and it could be memory size, memory speed, CPU speed, hardrive speed and available capacity, the hardrive could need defragging.

My wifes laptop was utterly appalling on its internal network card so we bought a USB dongle that increased the speed from 3mbps to 6mbps and then I set about general house keeping on the laptop and 5 hours later, et voilà 36mbps... Still way off the 160mbps coming in but a demonstration of why your PC speeds are low. 

The PS5 has a stupidly fast CPU, stupidly fast memory and a SSD drive with a very fast transfer rate. All of these will contribute to its higher WiFi speeds

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

It's obviously a Windows 10 problem so I would do a full reset of your network and start again. 👍

WiFi is limited unless you go the whole hog and purchase a WiFi-6 device / AX card to support your connection.

On your 300Mbps service you should be getting it maxed out because I'm getting superb speeds with my 900 package via WiFi.

This is WiFi-6 direct to my Laptop. 

Good luck and let us know how you get on. 😎

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

@NigelB72wrote:

There are so many variables that can affect WiFi speeds on devices. Chances are there will be a bottleneck somewhere in your PC and it could be memory size, memory speed, CPU speed, hardrive speed and available capacity, the hardrive could need defragging.

My wifes laptop was utterly appalling on its internal network card so we bought a USB dongle that increased the speed from 3mbps to 6mbps and then I set about general house keeping on the laptop and 5 hours later, et voilà 36mbps... Still way off the 160mbps coming in but a demonstration of why your PC speeds are low. 

The PS5 has a stupidly fast CPU, stupidly fast memory and a SSD drive with a very fast transfer rate. All of these will contribute to its higher WiFi speeds

I have no idea where the bottleneck could be on this PC, seeing as it's a relatively newly built machine.

Mobo: ASUS Prime X570-P

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800X

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz

SSD: Seagate FireCuda 520 NVMe

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

@busterboy1wrote:

It's obviously a Windows 10 problem so I would do a full reset of your network and start again. 👍

WiFi is limited unless you go the whole hog and purchase a WiFi-6 device / AX card to support your connection.

On your 300Mbps service you should be getting it maxed out because I'm getting superb speeds with my 900 package via WiFi.

This is WiFi-6 direct to my Laptop. 

Good luck and let us know how you get on. 😎

I also believe it is a Windows 10 issue, but I've exhausted so many avenues trying to discover where the issue lies, but to no avail. I just attempted a networking reset but unfortunately, it had no effect.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 6 of 7

Try resetting Winsock by opening a command prompt window as administrator and enter the following one at a time followed by enter after each.

netsh winsock reset catalog
netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log
netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

@Anonymouswrote:

Try resetting Winsock by opening a command prompt window as administrator and enter the following one at a time followed by enter after each.

netsh winsock reset catalog
netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log
netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Unfortunately, this did not seem to do anything either.

0 Ratings