Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Vern_wozza
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

WiFi to the garage

Go to solution
Hi there,

I have moved in to a house with a garage conversion. I'm going to use it for my office but WiFi is pretty poor.

There is an ethernet connection running from the garage to where my BT smart hub is.

Can I plug the smart hub in to that connection and place an access point in the garage?

The power line extendeders are on a different ring apparently so they won't work.

Thanks
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: WiFi to the garage

Go to solution

Yes. 

Vern_wozza
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution
Thanks for the quick response.

If you don't mind I have one follow on question.

I have a gaming pc which I would like to hard wire to the ethernet. So would the best solution be to buy a switch as well?

Or do wireless access points have the same functionality as a home hub, as in, they have a switch built in too?

Thanks.
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution
Some do, some don't, check out the specs of prospective devices.
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Wireless access points with Ethernet ports tend to be more expensive than those that don't have the ports.

If cost is important it may be best to use a four port switch which costs about £12  and a wireless access point which vary in price from about £25 upwards depending on if you want dual band etc. The down side is that you will need to have an electrical socket for both or an electrical dual adaptor.

licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Or alternatively, if you have a spare hub/router lying about, you can use that by disabling DHCP, giving it an IP address outside of the DHCP range of the hub and connecting the 2 boxes LAN port to LAN port.