Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
NickForest
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Wifi Extender grief - "Too many redirects"

Go to solution

Have recently moved house and had BT Infinity installed which works well and am happy with except I have a very limited wifi reception on the further floor from the router.

Duly purchased a TP Link (model TL-WA854RE) to extend the Wifi and although I can get it to connect using either the "quick setup" via WPS or the "custom" install it regrettably comes us with the dreaded message "too many redirects" when using Safari for example on the iPad. I see from browsing various sites that this is quite a common problem and having looked through TP Link website (which is of little to no use) the only relevant information I can find is on here which is in regard to other TP Link models.

The model I have does not have an ethernet connection and the ability to enter the managment pages via the link suggested by TP directs you instead to a web domain hosting service. Have also tried entering 192.168.0.254 as that is supposed to be the IP address for the device but I get a "not found" on the Explorer page.

Studying the previous postings on here I can broadly understand that the problem may lie with the IP address allocated to the router (HH5 Type A) and then being allocated to the TP Link but if I can't even interrogate the device I can't move forward on the issue.

I'm not particularly teccie but I know my way round a PC reasonably well if I know what I need to do.

Has anyone got any thoughts or advice? Am I wasting my time with the TP Link and if I bought the BT 600 WiFi Range Extender - N600, Dual Band as I've seen advertised will I eradicate this problem?

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Wifi Extender grief - "Too many redirects"

Go to solution

Many of the TP link products, including the one you mention, default to a subnet which is not the same as the home hub. This means that you have to go into the configuration, and change it.

This page may help, as it relates to another TP Link product.

http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/hardware/TP_link/wa701nd/wa701nd_v2/wa701nd_v2_wiz.html

The only problem is, that without a LAN connection, I cannot see how you can easily change the subnet.

If the quick setup on the device, or custom install, allows you to change the subnet and IP address, then if you change it to the values suggested on that link above, then you may be able to get it to work.

The BT 600 WiFi Range Extender - N600, Dual Band does not suffer from this problem.

0 Ratings
NickForest
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Keith

Thanks for the suggestions. I've now managed to get into the TP Link (the IP address is visible by the BT HH) and that is currently set at: 192.168.1.91 which I've posted below.

I've read the link to the article you posted on the WA701 but before I go making any changes can I clarify the following:

• Do I need to be changing the IP addr of the TP Link to match the HH? (I have looked in the HH Manager and it appears to be showing as: 81.141..17.161 and is described as: "Broadband Network IP Address" - Is there any way of confirming what is the IP address for the HH?
  • Assuming that above is correct is it only the IP address I need to mirror on the TP Link or are there any other changes needed in your view?

Regards...Nick

Addressing
MAC Address:e8:de:27:be:ff:d2
IP address assignment:DHCP
IP Address:
Always use this IP address:Option Yes for always use this ip is unselectedYesOption No for always use this ip is selectedNo

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

I would leave it at that address, unless you would prefer it to have a static IP address outside of the DHCP range.

You could change it to the settings as described on my website if you wish.

0 Ratings
NickForest
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Keith

Sorry to appear obtuse but can I just clarify if it's the IP address of the TP Link I need to change? If so do I need to change it to the same IP address as my HH or to the one suggesed in your linked article?

I think the software on the TP Link only lets you change the IP address if you amend from "Dynamic" to "Static" anyway?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

Change it to static IP address  192.168.1.16, which is outside of the home hubs DHCP range.

I am assuming that you are talking about the LAN address, and not the "Broadband Network IP Address"

The current LAN IPaddress can be found from looking at the home hub device list.

0 Ratings
NickForest
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Keith

Just wanted to close this query down. Unfortunately I couldn't resolve the problems with the TP Wifi extender and having made the changes you suggested (as well as others gleaned from various internet forums etc) the problem still remained with the "too many redirects" message on the Safari pages.

Decided to cut my losses and installed a Poweline system from Devolo (admittedly at a greater cost but a much better performance too) and the system is behaving perfectly plus I have full strength connectivity at the new access point (the device has 3 ports so have wired in the Smart TV and Sky box)

Thanks for your help and even though not successful I know a bit more about the subject now!

Regards

Nick

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks for the update, at least you now have a working system Smiley Happy

0 Ratings