cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Wifi Extenders suddenly stopped connecting to Smart Hub (1)

I have two wifi extenders, a Netgear one that I've had for a few years and a TP link that's probably only a year old.

A couple of days ago something strange happened when both extenders and every Amazon Echo in the house (I have several) all disconnected from the Smart Hub. Some of the Echoes were connected to the extenders (the ones upstairs) and some to the main Hub, but they all went down at once.

I had to re-set up each Echo one by one, but the ones that used to connect to the extenders won't hold their connection any more, so I've had to connect the to a very weak signal from the Hub.

The extenders themselves both show as connected to the Hub, and any device, smartphone or laptop, will connect to them fine. However, the internet connection for both extenders is now very flaky to the point that nothing will remain connected to the internet for more than a minute before it loses connection.

I bought a new Joowin extender from amazon yesterday, which gets very good reviews, and when I got it set up today it has the exact same problem!

I've been through the settings on the hub and everything looks perfectly normal.

Please help, it's driving me insane!

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 6

Re: Wifi Extenders suddenly stopped connecting to Smart Hub (1)

Try a factory reset on the hub and then turn off smart setup

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for your fast reply!

Ok, a factory reset is one thing I haven't tried yet. Will I lose all my settings (port forwarding, etc)? Just wondering if I need to make a note of them beforehand!

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 6

Not necessarily. You can backup your existing configuration before doing the reset and restore it afterward. If you're not confident enough to do that then pen and paper is a good idea

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

OK, so far so good! I'm holding constant connections on all three extenders now so it looks like it's done the trick!

I had tried turning off the the Smart Connect prior to the reset, but that didn't make any difference. The combination of both seems to have worked.

THANK YOU Victor Meldrew!

So was it the Smart Connect causing the problem? I'm definitely not going to turn it back on again.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 6 of 6

Probably just a software corruption but you're right, smart setup causes many problems and you're better off without it.

0 Ratings