cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stuiegbike
Message 1 of 11

Wifi Range insufficient to get signal outside

Hi All

I need to get wifi signal in my garden. When baby is asleep we can only check on baby camera using phone data as the wifi signal is strong enough. I keep running out of mobile data.

I have a BThub6

I have BT infiinity fibre speed around 100MB

What is the best solution? A more powerful router? For example a 

D-Link DIR-878 AC1900 (ebay £99.99)
All help appreciated

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Wifi Range insufficient to get signal outside

All routers in the UK emit the same wifi power by law. A router with external aerials should help as they are more efficient, experimenting with different channels may help. However, nothing is guaranteed with wifi it is a question of try it and see.

0 Ratings
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 3 of 11

Hi stuiegbike, sounds like you need a Wi-Fi Extender like the ones here. If you want absolute max speed, then go for the 11ac 1200 model, but the other models should work well too if you're only looking to connect one or 2 devices from the garden.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

A wifi extender won't help if the router is already in an optimal position to serve the garden.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 11

I agree with licquorice a WiFi extender may not be the best option. Can you re-position your router nearer to where you need the stronger signal? Or use a power line WiFi.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 6 of 11

Hi again, yes I agree that a Wi-Fi Extender might not always be the solution.

@stuiegbike  Assuming moving your router isn't an option (but worth a try if you haven't tried this already), then a Wi-Fi Extender could work if your router is in the room next to the one nearest to your garden. But unlikely to work well if your router is further away.

If your router is too far, then a powerline wifi as Devon_Dave mention could indeed be an option. It's slightly more expensive, but you're more likely to get better performance. The BT range of powerline wifi (we call them Wi-Fi Home Hotspots) is here. Same advice apply as for the extenders, go for one of the 11ac 1000 if you want fastest speed, but one of the lower spec one could work too if you're more cost conscious.

All these products can also be bought in any good electrical retailer if you prefer.

I hope one of these options work out for you, and apologise if we can't give definitive advice. Unfortunately, it's very hard to give that kind of advice remotely 😉

0 Ratings
Anotheruser1
Beginner
Message 7 of 11

Try a WiFi exetender. It’s chewper than a a new router and I’m not even sure you can use a third party router any more as you don’t have a user name and password.
Pass through adapters or wireless extenders are what you looking for. They cheap enough at Tesco and Asda. If you have a outside socket in a garage or shed it will work. I have one in my shed at the bottom of the garden but I don’t use the wireless on it. Used for Ethernet cameras. But it will do the job

Have a good day

0 Ratings
Anotheruser1
Beginner
Message 8 of 11

Yea it will use a pass through wireless extenders
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

I think you are all missing the point that gardens don't have power sockets generally.

0 Ratings
Anotheruser1
Beginner
Message 10 of 11

Not really.
If your router is in the sitting room or hallway at other end of the house. And you at the bottom of garden then you have a adapter at the closest point to the garden. Generally a pass through WiFi adapter. This will double the router distance.
Oh I’m missing the point no we not. According to bt their routers as advertised can broadcast the length of a football field or in a helicopter abound your house. Or maybe they just talk out their a**
Maybe you don’t like some one talking sense. Being doing this for a lot of years. I’m talking since the internet came out. Way before routers and easy stuff now.
Oh and to the member that asked the question walls and white goods can cause interference
If you do get a adapter don’t plug it in to an exstension lead. Plug in a socket on the wall.
Anyhow I’ll stop talking now and close this one of. I’ve give my opinion and it’s up the person what advice they follow. Thanks all
0 Ratings