Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RainbowDi
Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Wifi Speed Problems on my iMac with Infinity 2 and Hub 6

Go to solution

I upgraded to Infinity 2 on Wednesday 7 September and installed a new YouView Box. I already had a Hub 6 and that was working fine with my Hub 4 with steady wifi speeds on my Mac / iPod / iPad.

My iPod and Ipad speeds have been consistently good since then and very stable. 60 ish mbps.

My Mac on the other hand has been really bad http://beta.speedtest.net/results?sh=5ed645f91e784d1552732c702d202137 and really slow. Restarting the computer and hub seems to lift the speed to what I was expecting but it drops down immediately.

This morning I did a rescan on the Hub Manager and my Mac speed came up but has now dropped down again.

What else can I do?

I know the Hub was working well before Infinity 2 (I've had it a while).

I've gone through the BT Troubleshooter and followed instructions on that and split the channels but it doesn't seem any better.

I thought about resetting the hub to factory settings and starting afresh ... otherwise I'm out of ideas.

I would be glad of your thoughts and help please

Di
0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
RainbowDi
Contributor
Message 2 of 12

Re: Wifi Speed Problems on my iMac with Infinity 2 and Hub 6

Go to solution

Thanks for moving my post. I wasn't sure if it was a hub problem or an Infinity 2 problem.

I've now done a factory reset and my iPod and iPad are now back up to a speed I would expect to have and my Mac is really low

http://beta.speedtest.net/result/5617667608

Its a wireless speed test. My hub is downstairs and my Mac upstairs so can't do wired test

Just a thought. I've had Hub 6 since May and everything was working well with my broadband connections to Mac etc so am guessing its the Infinity 2 connection that is now causing a problem.

Di
0 Ratings
RainbowDi
Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

I meant to say in the first paragraph --- Hub 6 was working fine with my broadband ....... (NOT Hub 4) 

Di
0 Ratings
RainbowDi
Contributor
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

Just tested and a good speed came through

http://beta.speedtest.net/result/5618365189

Di
0 Ratings
cooperman
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

As the iMac is reasonably portable I would take it down to be close to the HH and try the tests there, you could also then do an Ethernet test. This will then indicate where the problem lies. If your other devices are getting better connections in the same location as the iMac then the problem is with the iMac not the BRoadband.

0 Ratings
Dode
Expert
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

My iMac is upstairs (not a big house, small semi) and on wifi I was getting around 18 Mb. Changed to homeplugs and that took me up to 37MB. On Infinity 1 and HH5.

0 Ratings
RainbowDi
Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

I've got some extenders (or whatever they are called) ... worth me trying but I wouldn't have thought I would need them on Smart Hub 6 . Definitely worth a few moments trying though

Di
0 Ratings
cooperman
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

Wifi is very unpredictable as there are so many things that can interfere with it. It's worth trying the extenders or home plugs and anything else that might improve the signal.

0 Ratings
RainbowDi
Contributor
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

An update.

I spent yesterday afternoon in the Hub Manager trying to split my devices between two bands. After trying and trying I couldn't see how to move some devices to a different band and did a reset (or maybe restore) I was getting very befuddled by then.

Then did a speed test and the Mac came up with a good speed. So far ... fingers tightly crossed ... the good speeds have lasted.

So it might be sorted ... don't like to say yes definitely until the speeds remain constantly good .

Di
0 Ratings
RainbowDi
Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

Well the speeds are still holding so splitting was the way to go!!

Di