Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 16

Wifi/Wireless Speed Promise

Hi guys and girls.

I am on the Halo1 with Fibre 1 package. The wifi speeds and constant lagging and disconnects have been so common recently and its now beginning to annoy me. My main computer is upstairs and to get internet I use a wifi extender and then an Ethernet cable from that to my computer. This worked great for a while! But past couple weeks my speeds are all over the place. Constant disconnects. I keep resetting the router and nothing works.

I already tried the plugin broadband extenders and they were useless. Is there something causing interference with my speeds? Or shall I get a BT engineer up to have a look and most likely do nothing.

Finally is there a speed guarantee for wireless?

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: Wifi/Wireless Speed Promise

Constantly resetting your router will cause you more speed problems as DLM will see that as line unstable and reduce speed and increase noise margin. If you then continue you will end up in a banded profile

there is no guaranteed speed when using wifi due to the various problem in homes with interference

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 16

What about Ethernet connected devices, do they stay connected, if not, then there may be an issue with your phone line.

BT do not guarantee a wireless connection unless you are on the complete wifi package.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Introducing-Complete-Wi-Fi-from-BT/m-p/1901302#...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 16

Think I am going to get the engineers to come have a look. The only ethernet cable I use is the one to my computer from the wifi range extender.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 16

@decel3000 wrote:
Think I am going to get the engineers to come have a look. The only ethernet cable I use is the one to my computer from the wifi range extender.

They cannot help with wireless issues, and you are likely to be charged.

You need to prove there is actually a fault on your broadband connection to the house. Noise on the phone line is one possibility,

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 16

We don't use the phone line (no house phone). Something has to be wrong. My speeds are all over the place. I pay for speeds of 150mb plus. Get between 35-60 most of the time. But recently it can drop below 2mb and I have no idea what is causing this?!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 16

@decel3000 wrote:

We don't use the phone line (no house phone). Something has to be wrong. My speeds are all over the place. I pay for speeds of 150mb plus. Get between 35-60 most of the time. But recently it can drop below 2mb and I have no idea what is causing this?!

You will need to test the line using a wired phone. BT cannot detect noise on the line, and it will cause lots of problems with your broadband.

You can get a basic wired phone for less than £10, Its always useful if you have a fault, as you can just plug it in as needed. Its also useful in an emergency, as your address can be quickly be located.

Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

If you get noise on your phone, or even no dial tone, then you need to report it as a noisy line. Do not mention any broadband problem, otherwise it will end up in the wrong fault queue, and take much longer to be fixed. There are plenty of people who can fix phone faults, but not as many broadband people.

Its best to check at the test socket on your master phone socket, that would prove whether the fault is external or not, and could save you a visit charge.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 16

Thank you. I shall look into this!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 9 of 16

@decel3000wrote:

Please can you go to this website: https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ and post the results, please remember to remove the phone number.

--
If I have helped you in anyway please press the Kudo button (thumbs up)
If I have resolved your post please click 'Mark as Accepted Solution'
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 16

Hi. I have put in the phone number and I get this response-

There is no data available for this number. This could be either because it is not a BT line or it is a new BT number that has just been provided. Most new numbers will appear on the checker 24 hours after BT has installed the line.

0 Ratings