Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RossPete
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Wifi access point

Go to solution

I have a BT whole house wifi system and it works very well. I now want to add CCTV with the recorder located in my loft. I cannot run an ethernet cable from my loft to my router, extremely difficult route and I do not want cables run on the surface of the walls. Is it possible to have a wifi access point that will connect to my whole house wifi system. I have a Netgear EX6100 that can be programmed to act as an access point but it does not seem to want to connect to the whole house wifi, I am guessing they are not compatible. Any advise would be appreciated.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Wifi access point

Go to solution

@RossPete 

You could connect the CCTV to the Ethernet port on one of the discs, or just add another disc.

Is it the white discs that you have?

The alternative would be a couple of powerline adapters connected from your BT Home hub, to th CCTV unit.

lnajr02
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Yes I can't see why not, I would recommend that the WiFi SSID used by the Netgear EX6100 is not the same as the HUB or Whole Home.

see https://kb.netgear.com/24432/How-do-I-install-my-NETGEAR-EX6100-extender

0 Ratings
RossPete
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Hi, I have the white discs, whole house system. I was under the impression that you should not connect anything to the Ethernet ports once the Wi-fi was up and running, I thought they were there purely for set up purposes. 
Certainly another disc adjacent to the CCYV would be a very easy solution. 

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Of course you can use the Ethernet ports on the secondary discs, its only the primary disc that needs to be permanently connected to your router.

0 Ratings
RossPete
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Hi, just plugged my laptop into the Ethernet port of one of my discs with the Wi-Fi turned off and hey presto the laptop is now connected to my whole house Wi-Fi and it shows in the app that it’s a lan connection. 
Thanks Keith for your suggested solution so much easier than trying to use the netgear. 
Problem solved. 

0 Ratings