cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fatboyslick
Contributor
Message 1 of 21

Wifi connected but not working randomly on some devices: HomeHub4.

Hi

I have the HomeHub 4 at 40mbps with a number of devices connected wirelessly: tv, 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 1 macbook and 1 laptop

I'm having sporadic and irrational wireless connections on some devices though.
For example, all the devices will work but randomly one of the iPhones won't work. Then later in the day the iPhones will work but an ipad won't.

When one of the devices doesn't work it IS connected to get wifi...the symbol etc says so, but it just won't load anything - the web browser says the server isn't responding, facebook app won't load, google maps etc. Even the HomeHub4 admin won't load

If I leave it 10 minutes it will magically work again.
But then 30 minutes later it will stop working...or another device will stop working.

Why the heck is this happening as it is driving me mad!!!

I used to have Virgin and never experienced this. It's definitely not my devices...how can the same issue occur across them all.....so it must be the wifi/router.

Anyone have any ideas please...do I need to change the channel or the b/g/n or anything like that in he settings

Thanks
0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 21

Re: Wifi connected but not working randomly on some devices: HomeHub4.

Try a factory reset of the homehub by pressing a pin into the recess button on the rear for about 20 seconds. This can often sort out wireless problems.

shirts
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 21

The wireless channel in use by the router will change as it strives to find the clearest channel. Have you tried going into the router settings and fixing the channel in use ? The best channel to use can be found with "inssider", which is used to scan all available channels, and shows you the ones least congested.......Smiley Wink

It may also be that the "lease time" for your connections may need increasing......?

If you found this post helpful, then please click the star on the left, after all, I'm only trying to help........Smiley Wink
DIBz11
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 21

I have the same issue with my homehub 4. My iPhone will stop working randmly eventhough it still says I'm connected (the symbol etc says so) and my laptop/other devices will still work at the same time. 10 minutes later with nothing changed it'll work again. Everything 'Fatboyslick' has said I have the exact problem. This is also driving me insane! I've tried reseting the HomeHub to factory settings and Im still getting this issue. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 21

Give the 2.4GHz and 5GHz different SSids. On your device "forget" any connection to the homehub then remake it to the two new SSids. Restart your device. Your device should then, provided they can use the 5GHz frequency, select the strongest signal.

Link how to change SSid

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44504/related/1

0 Ratings
DIBz11
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 21

I've also tried this but still getting the same problem. Any more tips?

0 Ratings
asgsitting
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 21

Same problem with my HH3, I have infinity 76 MB connection( I don't get 76 jFYI), some of my wireless device randomly don't work. I have tried changing channels, restarting router always work or restaring device , but this is not a permanent solution!! called BT so many times, did not help at all, they only ask me to change channels, cant make them understand that signal strength is not an issue. It would be great if someone can help us here!!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 21

It could be wireless interference/ congestion. Download the free version of inSSider onto a Windows wireless device and run it. You should then be able to see the least congested channel. Once you have this info  go into the hub management and change the smart wireless to the least congested channel number.

Link to inSSider

http://www.metageek.net/support/downloads/

Link to change channels

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14094/~/how-do-i-change-the-wireless-channel-on-my-bt...

It might also be worth "forgetting" any wireless connection to the homehub and restarting your device and remaking the connection.

DIBz11
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 21

Ive downloaded Inssider and I cant see any problems with the channel. This is getting incredibly frustrating! Will changing the Wireless Interface Type fix the problem? If so, what should I change it to? If not, any more help would be much appreciated! Thanks

0 Ratings
Fatboyslick
Contributor
Message 10 of 21

Hi

I tried resetting the router but that didn't solve the problem

When you say access the router settings to change the channel, please note that the router settings don't even load when I'm experiencing the issue. So I'm locked out of the internet for 10 minutes at least!

I'm yet to try and edit the channel names but in all honestly can't see how that would work.

As for the insider program, I don't have a windows device, just apple
0 Ratings