cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nickhancock70
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Wifi connection issues with Home Hub 5

Hi can any body help because I am starting to get very frustrated with the Home Hub 5 and it's wireless connection.

infinity 2 was installed at my house in the beginning of September, everything worked Ok for three weeks then for no apparent reason the hub kicked out all of my wireless devices (phones, kids iPods, tablets etc) at 6:45 one morning. When I got home from work I rang BT and was told to perform a Pin reset. This seemed to work but less tham 48 hours later at exactly the same time in the morning the hub kicked out all of my devices again, this time I just pressed the restart button on the top of the hub and everything reconnected but the Wifi range within my house had dropped. A few days later the hub kicked all my devices out again (each time it has done this the light on the hub has remained blue showing it is supposedly working OK)

One evening this week the hub of its own accord cycled through all the colours of lights indicating problems and that it was restarting. Today at 10:15 the hub kicked all my Wifi devices out again. I have contacted BT every time this has happened and told them about the poor range of the Wifi signal.

I do not want to be restarting/resetting my Hub every couple of weeks i need a permanent solution.

One of the reasons I switched from TalkTalk to BT when fibre became available was the fact that the Home Hub 5 was supposed to be the best provided router by any of the networks, being the only one that is an AC class router. The thing costs £130 if you want to by one. Quite frankly the £60 TP-Link dual band router I bought when I was with TalkTalk had a better range and was more stable. I would switch back to that if I knew BT's router settings (but they like to keep that a secret)

I really am beginning to regret switching from TalkTalk. Please someone restore my faith in BT.

Sorry for the lengthy rant but I hope you can understand why I've ranted for so long.

Nick

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Wifi connection issues with Home Hub 5

Have you tried changing the lease time in the hub from standard 1 day to max 21 days?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
nickhancock70
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

At the risk of sounding a right technophobe what is that and where do i change it? Hub Management page I presume?

Nick

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

go to advanced settings, home network, ip addresses, lease time

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
nickhancock70
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Hi imjolly

Sorry its taken a while to reply to your post.

I wanted to try BT's latest attempt at a solution before i tried your idea.

Since your reply the Home Hub 5 has dropped the Wifi connection to my devices another three times.

The second time less than 30hours after BT's so called fix, which was to make sure the 5Ghz channel was not syncing with the 2.4Ghz channel. Tonight it went again and BT's response was to take the router out of smart channel selection and manually select channel 9,6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 36,40,44 or 48 on 5Ghz. Well I havent even bothered with that, if the prats at BT would look at their records they would see they have already suggested that.

This HH5 is the most unreliable piece of garbage i have ever had the misfortune to use. WHY OH WHY did I leave TalkTalk

I have tonight tried your solution. Fingers crossed that this works.

Nick 

0 Ratings